PDA

View Full Version : '83 200x Finetuning Questions,Carb-Pipe !!

sandpuppi101
03-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Well I am having somewhat of an issue with a '83 ATC 200X that I am working on.It has the stock carb,I just put in a new carb kit and went all through it.Now mind you the 83 carb is different than the 84-85 models! Anyways I put a 110 main in and a 40 pilot jets in it.I I set idle mixture ,out around 1 3/4 ,like specs call for.I also put on a cobra pipe,but kept jetting stock to see how it would run! Now the issue: It starts fine and seems to stay consistant ,then I let off the throttle it drops fine and catches to a low idle,It will pur at an idle for 20-30 seconds and then just die.I kick the machine over and it fires back up no problem,give it a little gas and repeat the whole process!Now a plug chop shows the thing is burning fine,no carbon build -up." I am not fouling plugs at all",So the plug is good,The Idle mixture on the bottom of the carb is @ 2 1/2 ,and it runs this way! Specs call for 1 3/4 ,I also checked the float and it is a specs 14mm.I am not really confused on what I am doing I am just looking for the "Expertise", of one of you guys.I also have a 108 main that came with the kit. Temps here 36% !!! Thanks for any info in advance!!!

TeamGeek6
03-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I LIKE that avitar picture, nice roost on the snow. Gota love that low tire pressure for traction.

Throw the jet sizes out the window, start from scratch. They were fine for a stock machine, but its neither stock, or new anymore.

Some poor folk get fooled into spending weeks pharrting with carbs only to have crappy ignition. Electrical system is #1 main most problem in motorcycles. If youve set the carb 'close' to stock and its still doing weird things, look at electrical system. If compression is good and carb is close, then there is no reason for it to die at any time, unless the plug is fouled and you said it isnt.

CDI plug wil do weird things like that. Made my R a nightmare to start, then one day, it wouldnt start at all.

xman23
03-15-2006, 11:28 AM
mine is doing the same thing but i think its the really cold wether where i live becuae in summer and fall it didnt do it at all but now for some reson it will start up fine but it will idle for a little bit then die and it will start up just fine but doesnt like to idle