PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/Air Mixture help

Tweeked
03-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,
Lately I've been having problems with my plugs fouling---I've been fiddling with the fuel/air mixture skrew for quite a time now. Somtimes the tip of the plug is whitish but then other times the whole end of the plug is black and smells like gas. My friend told me if its white then its fouled and that I needed to unskrew to mixture skrew a little to ad more fuel. He looked at the skrew and told me he believe unskrewing it added more fuel and skrewing it in leaned it out. It seemed to work--for a while and then started fouling again. I've been through about 6 plugs and have to keep cleaning and reusing them to test the differn't settings. What would be the normal setting for my 200ES--I've got a K&N Filter with the lid removed. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks

-Mike

Tweeked
03-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey,
I'll be working on it sometime later today so It would be nice if I could know what to do in order to fix it. Any help would be great. Thanks again guys.

ATC crazy
03-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Sorry...I'm carb-illiterate :(

Tweeked
03-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Hehe,
Same here---I think thats kinda obvious though :rolleyes:. Any body else that can help? Thanks

als250
03-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Hey Tweeked! Don't know alot about carbs either, but my "CLYMERS", which covers 250 sx/es(don't know if adj. the same :? you really should get one for your trike! :-P www.clymer.com ) says
The air filter must be clean before starting this procedure or the results will be inaccurate. For the preliminary adjustment,carefully turn the pilot screw in until it lightly seats, then back it out the following number of turns:ATC250ES:2 turns out
Now mind you this is a 250es, but it's a place to start. Also, about your air box lid. I would put it back! Judging by your riding pics, it can get pretty dirty around there!! :twisted:

Hope this helps,
Al

ATCkrazy
03-13-2003, 07:54 AM
All right, here's what you gotta do, set the needle jets at 1 1/2 turns for starters, next youl need to set the slide needle to the highest notch, the slide needle screws in from the top of the carb, the throttle cabel goes to it, unscrew it and pop the spring, then pull the slide needle pull the clip and set it as at the top notch, this will lean out the mixture, the run the motor and check the plug, it shoul look lightly tanish after running for a wile, if it looks ash white then it's to lean, lower the clip anouter notch, it's very simple, just play with it a bit youl figure it out.

Tweeked
03-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the help. I cleaned the filter and messed around a little on the jetting. I think I might have fixed it...I hope. Later today I will find out. I rode for about 1 1/2 hrs yesterday and have never riden so hard, it was a blast and she never cut off on me. When I was done I removed the plug and it looked fine---It wasn't fouled. The tip was slightly tan but not ash white...And the ceramic part in the middle was white...Which I think is a good thing. Anyways, I will let u guys know what happends, and if it was a succes. Thanks again guys

-Mike