PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear em, shifter fixes!

Kintore
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Well my 200 shifter has hit the the fan. I tried a new shifter and no luck. I know there is others out with the same problem. I tried a search and came up with a few things but nothing serious.

I really dont want to weld, can I JB weld?
I heard something about drilling through and putting a pin in it. Whats the deal? any other clever fixes out there?

And its not really a issue of having to take the motor apart. Its dieing more everyday, I payed 200 for it, and it was on its last leg anyways when I got it. Ill just run it till she goes, shes had a good life. So a permanet fix is in order.

Any bright ideas?

IrvSLedman
03-13-2006, 11:35 AM
yeah You can weld it, our buddies 110 was welded on i believe????:wondering some one we knows was it would work..

bigredhead
03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I have never tried it .. but what about a set screw ?

Drill a 1/16th or 1/8th hole in the shift lever.. tap it.. and drop in a set screw !

they work good on pulleys and what not.. why not shifters !

dufrain
03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I would weld it on the end of the shaft only and not a ton of burning it in.That way if you want it off just put the grinder to the weld and its off.

atctim
03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I have always thought about this, but never did it:
cut a slot into the shift shaft with a die gringer, then also in the shifter, and just key it like a flywheel. I think you would have a hard time drilling through the shift shaft, those are hardened and tempered I think. You'd be breaking bits left nad right.

Lomax
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
would another shift shaft really be that hard to find or an old Honda 200??

Kintore
03-13-2006, 03:00 PM
No, problem is it takes alota work to put another in there. And im not going to do that lol

bigredhead
03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
This is one of those RARE situations i would suggest welding it. lol..

Cody
03-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Weld, just tap it a couple times with the welder.

ghostridermb
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
On my old rm 80 i drilled a hole through the shaft but a cement nail through it then welded it it worked good but you might want to find something a little stronger then a cement nail i broke a few of them but other then that they lasted quite some time and then you dont have to go crazy at the welding incase you ever want to take it apart i just put a few welds around the outside.

Kintore
03-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I think im going to tack it. Unless somone has a better plan?

Bryan Raffa
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
take a die grinder or a hacksaw and cut out 3-16ths out of the split where it clamps so it clamps tighter use a harden bolt and nut unless its realy striped bad you can drill right through it and use a roll pin doing both of these works well!

Jason Hall
03-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Kintore, Is the slot in the shifter squeezed together? If It Is, what I have done in the past Is take the shifter off, get your 3" cut off wheel out & make the slot wider. Then put the shifter back on & real carfully tighten the bolt back down while squeezing the gap shut with vise grips. If you have a little spline left on the shaft & shifter, It might hold. If that wont work. Weld It.

Tri-ZNate
03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Just drill a hole through the shaft and put a bolt in it. Thats what we did, and if you ever have to take the case off you wont have to worry about the shifter being in the way. Plus new owners hate it when the previous owner welded the shifter to the shaft.

Somekindofjerk
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I wellded my 110's shifter on, to get it out and away from the inside of the engine and to keep it from free turning. It works great and i never plan on desroying the shifter! lol

Cody
03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Hmmm. I would like to hear that one. Come on Howdy, tell us!

crackshot
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
you cut out a side piece of pop can, wrap it around the splines, open the slot up a little on shifter with a screwdriver and slip it over the pop can wrapped around the shifter shaft. Old trick.
I have used that trick on my AK47 when they grind the treads off so I can't put a muzzle brake on!
I wrap threads and just screw it on!

dickieg89
03-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I myself would try the drill a hole thru the shaft and shifter and then put a bolt and nut on. Leave welding to last resort. Thats just me though. The toolbox that sold me my 200s tacked the wheel hub nut on and I had to drill it out to change the brake pads.

Howdy
03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I will wait to let Howdy explain the pop can trick fix. I seen it in person and it worked (w/o welding).

john

At TF03 Holic had his 175 at Haspin. After riding it for a while he found his shifter splines were stripped. For a quick fix we took and cut the bottom of a Pop can and got it wedged inbetween the lever and the shaft ( 1/4 turn from the clamp opening ). We put it back together and Holic rode it for quite a while. A few months later I sent holic a 175 shaft and he replaced it ( I think ). I know mik6 was watching and taking notes. lol Did it work? Yes! Redneck? Yes! Would I do it to a machine that I am going to ride everyday until it dies? Maybe not. I would probably weld the out end of the shaft. DO NOT weld the inside though. I just had to cut a shifter shaft out of Seadoo's wifes 200x. The person that welded it got weld splatter all over the shaft inbetween the shifter and the case. Had they only welded the out side we probably could have fixed it in 1/4 to 1/2 the time.
Howdy

Kintore
03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you, im going to weld now and thanks for telling me where. And thanks for the pop can trick though lol
And also howdy, my dad says he can run a station if you want to split us up too. He just said make sure I can run in it too, So theres 2 more for TF!