PDA

View Full Version : Using the stock metal air filter body...Is it to be used with Uni-Filters??

patblkwell
03-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Ok what's the deal with using the metal air filter body that comes with the bike? Is that only to be used with the stock foam air filter or are you supposed to use it with the uni-foam air filters too? I am wondering because it doesn't say whether to use it or not with the uni filters. It fits just fine inside my 250ES big red uni filter so I use it on there. My 350X uni air filter came with a large coiled spring inside of it-I'm guessing to keep the body of the filter from collapsing? Are you supposed to just leave that in or what? Basically, would using the stock metal air filter body with a uni filter be overkill and cut down on air flow? thanks in advance.

SWIGIN
03-13-2006, 02:17 AM
its not realy made for it but it wont hurt ether

patblkwell
03-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I know the uni is a 2-stage filter...I'm guessing that the metal filter body is the 2nd stage for the stock filter?

SWIGIN
03-13-2006, 02:24 AM
well the stock filter would be flopy with out the screen...the uni will be fine...but if it fits and gives you peice of mind go for it

patblkwell
03-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with the spring that comes in the Uni filter? Is it for packaging purposes or to just leave in there.

Billy Golightly
03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
On the inside of the filter you mean?Its to keep the filter from compressing and losing air volume area, or in high vacume application (Not on a trike, but other things) it keeps the filter from getting sucked into the intake.

patblkwell
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh ok, that's what I was thinking. So no need to use the metal inner part that comes with the bike too right? My Big Red Uni filter didn't come with one of those springs so I am using the metal thing in it..