PDA

View Full Version : Good all around tire?

2VulcherX
03-11-2006, 04:05 AM
So the lawnmower tires on back of my 200x have got to go. What's a good all around tire for the rear? We ride everthing from mud to sand to grass, you name it, we ride it. I want to go with 22/11/8. So any input from you guys would be great. (keep in mind im not a millionaire)

~..Josh.

chris200x
03-11-2006, 05:00 AM
best cheap all around tire...turf tamer knobbies.

nat350x
03-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah I would say turf tamers, There a great all around tire, mud, snow, sand, or dirt they do it all well.

TimSr
03-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Doing a serach will bring up a few hundred threads on this topic, with a few hundred different answers. The important thing to remember is that no tire does it all well, and you need to decide what features are most important to you, and what other features you are will to sacrifice to get there.

A few general points to remember in selecting tires:

Flat profile tires run at higher pressures are most "stable" or tip resistant but they also tend to give the roughest ride.

The more rounded and soft a tire is, the smoother the ride, but the more easily it tips, hence the "ballon tires" on unsuspended models.

Rounded tires get much better traction in anything they will sink into, such as mud or snow.

Flat profile tires get better traction on harder surfaces because of the increased contact area.

Flat profile tires are easiest to powerslide, or slide sideways as teh tire walls dont flex. Sometimes this is desireable, such as one a race track, and sometimes sideways traction is a lifesaver like on off camber trail riding.

Mud tires vary greatly, as some have almost no sideways traction, while others give great traction in all directions.

Some tires are not very puncture resistant, and should be avoided in rocky conditions.

Probably the most common tire run for both trail and track conditions are Holeshots, but I dont think they are particularly great or the best for either one. The best solution is two sets of tires on rims, but not everybody has that option. I love Turf Tamers on a dry or not too wet MX track, but in my opinion they area very poor tire to use anywhere else, but thats just my opinion. Rocks will tear them to shreds, and they dont protect the rim very well either. I like the Maxi All Trax for trail riding my TriZ, but I think they are too much tire for a 200X. The stock Dunlop tires they use on a Warrior are excellent for a 200X for everywhere but a track, as they are soft and dont powerslide well. TimJr likes his Cheng Shin Jackals in his 200X for trails, soft, tough, and aggressive, but they dont work well on dry hard pack, and are out of the question for the track.

SWIGIN
03-11-2006, 10:09 AM
i agree turfs are great...but id have to go with a 18 inch...love those corners

250r'en +TCB
03-11-2006, 10:16 AM
turf tamers are definatly the way to go. I got them on my R and couldn't be happier!!!

Banage
03-11-2006, 10:28 AM
i sware by dirt devils. I got them, and i have never been dissapointed, and for the price, ( 22-11-8 from rockymountainatv.com) $51 a tire, not too bad.

Dammit!
03-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm really impressed with how well stock 400ex tires can hook up. I was using them in the sand dunes and still hooking up great. Best thing is they're so common you can find them real cheap.

Kintore
03-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Yah I got a set of stock 400ex's and like em. But I like razrs in the 20 format, slide real well for me even in trails and all over the place. My 400exs I bought for 10 bucks and they were pure bald, man does that thing slide like a bugger! lol

patblkwell
03-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I think the Maxxis All Traks would be a good all round tire for your bike....lightweight, not too flat, not too rounded either.