PDA

View Full Version : Well...

MyMistress86R
03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
To quote one of my most respected fellow riders...

"Ok, you got her now...it's just a money pit from here on out." You know who you are...lol.

My great deal 250R turned out to be not such a great deal. When I picked it up, I was aware that there was an issue with the swingarm and possibly the clutch.

We bandaged the swinger for a weekend of riding and the clutch didn't act up until late on the second day.

Tonight I tore into it to get it ready for the permanent repairs to the swinger and clutch and found a monetary black hole of problems. Beyond the entire swinger replacement I was expecting, I discovered that the bearing carrier is trashed (bearings included), the mounting star for the rear sprocket is wasted and the front swingarm bearings are toast. On top of all that, I can't get the **** swingarm bolt out...:twisted: . Then there's the clutch...the basket is shot and the plates might as well be frisbees.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I got one whole weekend out of it, though. With this new discovery, I'll be lucky to get it all back together by TF, but I'll sell my soul to do so.

I also need to replace the right hand fork due to my own aparent inability to ride and/or control a twist throttle. I do already have a thumb throttle solution in place though.

I'm going to post up in the classified section for the stuff I need, but I'll mention it all here too. Keeping in mind I have an extremely limited budget, any help will be greatly appreciated...maybe a trip to Howdy's place is in order...:wondering .

All parts apply to an '86 R:

swingarm
bearing carrier
mounting star for rear sprocket
front swingarm bolt
clutch kit~clutch plates~clutch basket
TRX clutch cable
honda thumb throttle cable
front forks~right hand side only, worst case scenario
Obviously, I will buy all the swinger bearings new...

Massive thanx in advance for any and all feedback and help,
Todd

Dammit!
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
That list of parts ain't bad really. 250R parts are easy to come by for good prices. Oh, and don't even consider getting a used throttle cable. Trust me it ain't worth the couple bucks you'd save. A broken throttle cable is a quick way to ruin your trip (and even more parts if it breaks at the wrong time).

Take that bent fork apart and see what's actually damaged in there. You might get lucky and only need an upper tube and maybe a rod. I doubt you need the entire fork.

MyMistress86R
03-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanx for the tip Dammit. I was planning on a new cable, just had it on the list. I'll see what I can find out about the fork too. It's not too bad and doesn't seem to affect the handling any and my dad works for a guy that has a pretty hefty press. We might be able to straighten it out for now.

Oh, and yeah...that list does seem pretty bad...lol. I only had about $200 to put into the swinger repairs. Now I have no idea how I'm going to get this done.:cry:

Somekindofjerk
03-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Look on the bright side, You have a good running 250R to play with! At least the frame isnt cracked and the axle and splines are still good:cool: Youll have it back together in no time im sure.

TimSr
03-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I didnt even know I had a bent fork on my TriZ until I did a complete tear down two years ago. The upper tube was bent, making the bottom of the fork stick out about 4". I didnt have an extra one handy, and needed to ride it, so It loosened the triples, and rotated the fork until the bend was going straight outward from the axle, not forward or backwards, and retighten the triples. Then I installed the front wheel, and had to pull the fork inward to get the axle throught it, and the nut started, and then tightened it up. This was meant to be a temporary bandaid, but the truth is the only time I even remember I have a bent fork is if I take the front wheel off. Because its pulled straight with the axle. At this point, two tyears later, Im in no hurry to chnage it. Sure its not the correct method of repair, but sometimes the upcoming ride will make you choose between waiting at home for perfection, or going riding with what youve got.

Derrick Adams
03-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I'll buy that peice of junk off you!:lol:

That's pretty crappy to make it out like a fellow board member sold you a peice of junk. Especially when he was doing you a favor, and CHEAP.

Swingarm bearings are like breakpads, you'll be replacing them every year if you ride the bike around here. That's a common thing. The stuck swingarm bolt is also VERY common. Best method is to cut it out with a cut off wheel and replace it. $40, get one for a 400ex.

Is the carrier cracked or what? Can it be welded? Those too are common for failures. An aftermarket carrier w/ bearings goes for around $150, replacement bearings go for around $50 so that would be a tough call.

Swingarms sell for dirt on e-bay. You'll probably pay more for shipping than for the actual swingarm. lol

I'll like to check out those clutch discs. Those things are extremely thin when their new. Easy to get fooled by them. If the clutch wasn't slipping under throttle, your proabably alright. Doesn't Brandon have a clutch basket for you?

Dammit!
03-11-2006, 10:24 AM
You can get bearings from dads for cheap. I paid about $20 shipped for my Tri-Z bearings.

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?t=19500

3leggeddog
03-11-2006, 10:40 AM
i will be buying a billet basket soon,you can have my stocker.

describe whats wrong with the basket now?

MyMistress86R
03-11-2006, 11:27 AM
That's pretty crappy to make it out like a fellow board member sold you a peice of junk. Especially when he was doing you a favor, and CHEAP.

Woah...reign in the pony there, big D. That was never my intention. Jim made me a great deal on a great bike and I appreciate that. I mean, at least I've GOT a ride now...that was a big first step. I just wasn't expecting the extent of the repairs, is all, and I likely put way too much mental shine on everything. It'll all get figured out, I'll be a happy camper again and I will still remember the awesome favor a fellow triker and board member gave me. I was just a bit down over it last night, and probably spoke up before my mind had a chance to roll it over a few times first. That was my bad. As far as the carrier itself, it came out in a couple of pieces. No fixing it.

Brandon...I don't know enough about these things to have much of an idea exactly what the problem is yet. All I know is, it won't up shift without a herculean pull on the shifter. I also need to get that cable switched out. It has a couple worn spots (like almost thru the metal jacket inside the sleeve) in it that I discovered last night. Might have something to do with it. Also, what does your day look like Sunday? I need to get down there and give your PC a good once over for ya like I said I would.

TimSr...I like your idea, I might have to try that. I looked them both over pretty extensively last night and it appears to be only the right hand side that's tweaked and it's not too awful bad.

Somekindofjerk...You, sir, are absolutely right. I AM grateful for having a good running (like a raped ape) bike. It took a few more beers, not enough sleep and a pot of coffee this morning to get it back into perspective though.

And on a side note...you guys make suggestions for parts and quote 40 here, 20 there, etc.. I find that amusing...that's a lot of friggin money to me. :lol:

MyMistress86R
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Ok...after some discussion with Derrick, we detirmined that it was likely that the clutch basket just needed a little filing and it would be all good. Upon closer inspection, it turned out he was exactly right. Few minutes with the file, all should be right in the world. Then, of course, fate had to rear it's ugly head...

Upon attempting to remove the clutch basket, I managed to break off one of the screw pillars for the springs. :mad: AND I STILL DIDN"T GET IT OFF!!!

I truly believe at this point, some greater power is trying to tell me I have no right to own a trike...lol. I had actually considered doing the filing while the basket was on the bike, but who wants metal filings all in their clutch?

This is where somebody says "That will make you appreciate it even more when it's back up and running." right?

i need to find this funny...i need to find this funny...i need to find this funny

Howdy
03-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok...after some discussion with Derrick, we detirmined that it was likely that the clutch basket just needed a little filing and it would be all good. Upon closer inspection, it turned out he was exactly right. Few minutes with the file, all should be right in the world. Then, of course, fate had to rear it's ugly head...

Upon attempting to remove the clutch basket, I managed to break off one of the screw pillars for the springs. :mad: AND I STILL DIDN"T GET IT OFF!!!

I truly believe at this point, some greater power is trying to tell me I have no right to own a trike...lol. I had actually considered doing the filing while the basket was on the bike, but who wants metal filings all in their clutch?

This is where somebody says "That will make you appreciate it even more when it's back up and running." right?

i need to find this funny...i need to find this funny...i need to find this funny

You should have brought it here today. Brandon came over and we had a good time wrenching on his 250SX. I am sure we could have fixed some of your problems. And I am willing to bet I could have removed the clutch basket without breaking it. But I understand stuff happens, you can't win them all.

FYI, Brandon brought his 250sx here with the motor not running ( no spark ), his motor also had starter issues and many other problems. A few hours, a motor, some fenders, some wrench time, and a lot of socializing he was out riding it. He was nothing but smiles ear to ear. He left here about a hour or so ago. It was a great day for all.
Howdy

MyMistress86R
03-11-2006, 10:24 PM
I tell you what Howdy...coming up for a visit is sounding better and better all the time.

I've got a fork that would love to spend some time in your press and a swingarm bolt that needs to be cut out. I can turn it, but it won't budge side to side.

I'll have to see if I can make some arrangements to get some transportation for me and the trike though. What is the best time for you? Weekends, evenings, whenever?

200x Basket
03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
i have some new swinger bearings and new axle bearings that i will make you a killer deal on. I bought then and then did not need them.

MyMistress86R
03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
i have some new swinger bearings and new axle bearings that i will make you a killer deal on. I bought then and then did not need them.

PM me with some numbers and we'll make a deal. I need all the "killer deals" I can get right now...lol.

200x Basket
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
PM sent!!!!

Howdy
03-11-2006, 10:45 PM
I work Mon, Wed, Fri ( evenings ) and some Saturdays ( by appointment ). Saturdays normally works out best for me. I try to schedule work on the Saturday mornings, so that if there is more problems ( than expected ), then we have the afternoon to try and fix them.
FYI, Today was something else. I scheduled Brandon and ended up with 3 other customers. I didn't much of any "Shop" things done. Thankfully Pickle was able to do some of those while I was wrenching, and getting other future jobs lined up.

I think my next free Saturday is in 2 weeks. I will need to double check the home schedule, and the wife before I can commit to a day though.
Howdy

3leggeddog
03-11-2006, 11:04 PM
You should have brought it here today. Brandon came over and we had a good time wrenching on his 250SX. I am sure we could have fixed some of your problems. And I am willing to bet I could have removed the clutch basket without breaking it. But I understand stuff happens, you can't win them all.

FYI, Brandon brought his 250sx here with the motor not running ( no spark ), his motor also had starter issues and many other problems. A few hours, a motor, some fenders, some wrench time, and a lot of socializing he was out riding it. He was nothing but smiles ear to ear. He left here about a hour or so ago. It was a great day for all.
Howdy

nothing but smiles is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t: :w00t:

i can't say enough about howdy,and pickle.you guys rock!!!i can't thank you guys enough.i really enjoyed the bs-n,and wrenchin on my machine.she purrs like a kitten now.i don't know what you guys would have done without me there:crazy:

thanks again.

Howdy
03-11-2006, 11:19 PM
nothing but smiles is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t: :w00t:

i can't say enough about howdy,and pickle.you guys rock!!!i can't thank you guys enough.i really enjoyed the bs-n,and wrenchin on my machine.she purrs like a kitten now. i don't know what you guys would have done without me there :crazy:

thanks again.

We probably would have got the 185s valve problem fixed. lol But it's Ok, Bob only lives 3 miles away so he can stop in anytime. FYI, He will probably have it back tomorrow ( I am going to try and fix it tonight ).

Anyhow, I am glad to see you made it back home. How did the short cut work out? Save you much time ( and gas )? ;)
Time for a few :beer hehe
Howdy

3leggeddog
03-12-2006, 10:03 AM
o man,it saved me 45 minutes!!!!!!!!

todd if you set up a time we can go up in a few weeks.i'll drive if you pay for gas,and howdy can fix ya up right!!

well i hope you get the 185 going for bob,he seemed like a good dude.hopefully 5 prople don't stop in while your tryin to wrench,lol:lol:

MyMistress86R
03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a plan Brandon.

Howdy...let me know when your next reasonable date is and we'll set something up. I'll tinker with it some more myself in the mean-time, and I'll try not to break anything else...lol.

x.system
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Sorry Todd, I told you when you picked the bike up to let me know if you needed any parts later on and I would help you out. Anyway, heres a few that will be on the way Monday. The carrier will need new bearings and seals but its a sound piece. I don't know if that cap will fit your carb but you can try it. I also have more forks if you need them, they will need to be rebuilt. Don't worry about pivot bearings either, those will be on the way once they are finished up. Look for a package around Wednesday. Did that title show up yet?

Jim

200x Basket
03-12-2006, 02:55 PM
sweet deal!!

MyMistress86R
03-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry Todd, I told you when you picked the bike up to let me know if you needed any parts later on and I would help you out. Anyway, heres a few that will be on the way Monday. The carrier will need new bearings and seals but its a sound piece. I don't know if that cap will fit your carb but you can try it. I also have more forks if you need them, they will need to be rebuilt. Don't worry about pivot bearings either, those will be on the way once they are finished up. Look for a package around Wednesday. Did that title show up yet?

Jim

HOLY FRIGGIN WHAT A GUY, BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Jim, I didn't expect anything like that from you. You've already done more than enough just with the initial deal. I am truly sitting here stunned over this. Jim, you are an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 in my book. I did get the title, it's been stored safely away along with the bill of sale.

I've got a killer deal in the works for all the swinger bearings and seals, so don't even give a thought to any of that. As far as the forks, forget that too. That was due to my own carelessness and I'll take care of them.

Expect to see mad props all over this board over this Jim. You are the definition of "above and beyond" for the advancement of the sport and fellow riders.

We SO need a bow down and worship smilie on here...

SpeedBump
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Ditto on what He said. Jim is a heck of a guy. I have had a couple instances where I needed some stuff, and he was more than willing to help out. I ended up getting through it without needing to actually get stuff from him, but I will deal with him in the future for sure. 11 outta 10, yep!

Mit, glad you are gonna get things all worked out. Chin up, it is ALWAYS "half FULL".

B, good to hear you guys got the SX up and running. I understand you got a hankering for a 84/85 T3 project. Guess what I just picked up? LOL.... You come get it, or wait for TF and you can have it. Call me for info on it.

3leggeddog
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
are you seriuos?dude.......I LOVE YOU,i am sure it's a basket case,but IDGAF!!!!

i'll call you soon buddy.

the sx is great man,i love this little tooter,if only my 250r will go to together iwould be lovin honda,errrr

MyMistress86R
03-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Speedbump...thanx for the backup on the eRespect for Jim. I'm still in shock over what he's doing and done for me. Now all I need to do is get a chance to come with the OTC when they make a trip out there to ride with you again. I'd love to meet you in person.

Jim...I know you told me to call you if there was anything I needed, but man, I didn't want you to think I wasn't happy as a turtle in it's shell as is. I have an issue with pride and stubborness too...lol. I hate asking for charity, let alone help. Reparations WILL be made for the parts, somehow. I'll post up pics of her when she's all back together and ready to go again.

x.system
03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Speedbump...thanx for the backup on the eRespect for Jim. I'm still in shock over what he's doing and done for me. Now all I need to do is get a chance to come with the OTC when they make a trip out there to ride with you again. I'd love to meet you in person.

Jim...I know you told me to call you if there was anything I needed, but man, I didn't want you to think I wasn't happy as a turtle in it's shell as is. I have an issue with pride and stubborness too...lol. I hate asking for charity, let alone help. Reparations WILL be made for the parts, somehow. I'll post up pics of her when she's all back together and ready to go again.

I didn't know the history on this bike, thats why I offered parts if anything went wrong or wasn't working properly. I rode that bike once after I put that motor in and that was for about 2 minutes if that. I bought that bike just for the motor, I know who built it so thats why I picked it up, the rest of the machine was going to be for spare parts but I never got around to taking it apart. The only thing I knew about the motor in it now is that it ran and I knew it had some kind of clutch problem. I figured it was a grooved basket just by the feel of it.

This isn't charity either, just a little help to get you back up and running. Kind of a pay it forward deal. Help someone else out when they need it. Thats what were here for right?

Delivery Confirmation™ Label Number: 0103 8555 7495 2628 7203
If it doesn't show up by wednesday track it at usps.com

MyMistress86R
03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
You Da Bomb, Jim...lol. I'll have both my eyes and the wife's open for it. :D