PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing your ride

chris200x
03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone know where I can get that little rubber grommet that holds the stator wires and prevents water from getting in to your stator?

The last couple times out I found myself almost completely submerged and with spring coming and all the rain I know it will get worse. I just dont want to be stuck out in the woods brokedown.

Also, I know it's been talked about in the past, but does anyone (since there are alot of new guys on here) have any good tips or tricks that worked well for them. I'm particulary concerned about the two air vents up under the tank on the frame.

Air-cooled-R
03-10-2006, 06:22 PM
i know it's not factory, but a very popular louisiana trick is some silicone..... just a suggestion.

Dammit!
03-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Silcone is the way to go to seal any holes that can let water into the motor. You can put a silicone based lubricant around the edge of the airbox and intake boots too.

The air vents at the top of the frame are the only way air can get into the airbox if it's properly sealed so you can't block them off. What you can do though is use duct tape to make sort of an awning so water doesn't splash in there easily. You can use the same trick to direct water away from crankcase breathers too.

I had my old 200x so water proofed it was damn near a submarine.

chris200x
03-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Cool guys thanks. I think I heard somewhere that there is somekind of grease or something for the spark plug. Anyone hear of this.

Also, if you stalled out in a puddle and water went down into the exhaust pipe. What do you do? I faintly remember sinking my argo 6 wheeler in a pond but i cant remember how we got it started again. Do you take the plug out or somethiing? IDK...

dufrain
03-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Its dialectric grease ,autozone has it.You take out the plug,and crank and crank . Anyone remeber the old dirt bike article that told how to get a drowned bike going again.The guy had his PE or whatever standing upside down like a kids bike draining the crankcase and cylinder.

dufrain
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
SOme antisieze is always good on the threads of the plug while you have it out

brapp
03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
hey chris, i dorowned out the foreman 450i have a few weeks ago. i just stood it up on grab bar and let allthe water dain out and then start cranking it, make sure there is no water in airbox or it could bend rod or cause serious motor problems. and the 250sx;s have been good to me. i have only ever drowned one out once. but they do float. sometimes you have th jump off and swim next to them. just make sure the airfilter and air box clamps are on tight, and make sure to grease the electrical connections. , and somethign els ei have done is a 1 way check valve on the vent hoses for the tranny and rear. that helps keep water out. but i have always had no probels with my sx in the water and mud.http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/honda-250-sx-85-bikepics-212295.jpg

chris200x
03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Yea, thanks for the tips. I had mine completly sumberged for a bit until the front tire started to float. Kinda hard to steer like that though. I know all the mud and water can be brutal on a bike. But I just can't stay away from the deep stuff. And I don't want to wear/break anything prematurly. I always stop at the carwash on the way home. I guess that helps a bit.

Edit: what is this one way valve you speak of?

Bryan Raffa
03-10-2006, 11:58 PM
you can use an old outerwears air filter cover cut it up and tape it on or clamp it works well

chris200x
03-11-2006, 12:34 AM
you can use an old outerwears air filter cover cut it up and tape it on or clamp it works well

are you talking about covering up the vents in the front under the tank?