PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tri Z bearings

jsimonh
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I've got a complete gasket set, oil seal, and water pump/shaft assembly for my Z. I'm also wanting to replace all the bearings in it. I need someone to point me in the right direction for me to get these. Also does anyone have pointers on what to look for when I take it apart? Like what the clutch plates, bearings, cylinder etc.. are supposed to look like.

Thanks.

Bryan Raffa
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
the clutch plates have little squares on them check and see if those are good if there almost flat its time for a new set ,the steel plates last longer but if they have a groove in them or a lip on the edge time to replace,you want to check for up and down movement and excessive left to right in your bearings they should be nice and tight if there questionable replace them anyway ,there the most important thing in your engine, bad ones only lead to exessive wear on other parts,you want to check the clutch rod,ball,and clutch adjustment rod , the ball should be nice and smooth, the rod check for wear on the ends should be nice and flat maybe a little dimple from the ball,your cyl should be nice and smooth, light skuff marks can be honed out,you can get light scraches out with honeing also,deep scraches -you should bore it,check your clutch baskit for groves from the plates,should be smooth maybe some light groves,check your shift forks for excessive weare,its also a good time to replace the shift shaft if your splines are startin to get shot! dont forget to throw a new mechanical seal in the water pump for the price of them you will feel alot better knowing thats its new! good luck! OEM BEARINGS

jsimonh
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
the clutch plates have little squares on them check and see if those are good if there almost flat its time for a new set ,the steel plates last longer but if they have a groove in them or a lip on the edge time to replace,you want to check for up and down movement and excessive left to right in your bearings they should be nice and tight if there questionable replace them anyway ,there the most important thing in your engine, bad ones only lead to exessive wear on other parts,you want to check the clutch rod,ball,and clutch adjustment rod , the ball should be nice and smooth, the rod check for wear on the ends should be nice and flat maybe a little dimple from the ball,your cyl should be nice and smooth, light skuff marks can be honed out,you can get light scraches out with honeing also,deep scraches -you should bore it,check your clutch baskit for groves from the plates,should be smooth maybe some light groves,check your shift forks for excessive weare,its also a good time to replace the shift shaft if your splines are startin to get shot! dont forget to throw a new mechanical seal in the water pump for the price of them you will feel alot better knowing thats its new! good luck! OEM BEARINGS

Thanks!:beer

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-10-2006, 11:56 PM
i agree too, every motor i build gets oem everything, ive had too many problems with aftermarket (cheap) gaskets and seals, look at how long them 20 yr. old bearings are in the cases!:naughty: