PDA

View Full Version : EEEK!!! Broken Plastic!!!!

solomyn
03-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey all,
First, I want to thanks the folks that helped me with the leaky rear end question I had today. ScottZJ, that site with the manuals was awesome! Lots of good information in there!

Anyway, after work tonight, I decided to take her on her maiden voyage. Down through about a mile of woods. Very heavy stuff. Anyway, I get to a thick part, and am heading through, going slowly, when all of a sudden I stop quickly. I look to my right, and I had lodged myself with a small sapling. It cracked the plastic (about 3 inches) on the fender!

My question is this: What is the best way to stop this from cracking further. And please, spare me the "learn to ride!"! Should I use some sort of epoxy, or would a super glue type adhesive be alright. This thing is in very good condition, and I just dread the thought of it going down the tubes. I would like to think that this is an isolated, freak accident, but...

Thanks,
Sol.

nouseforaname90
03-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Well.. I don't think any epoxy is going to work very well. I tried Super Strength epoxy on my cracked plastic, and it broke again within 2 rides.
All you can really do is drill holes, and then "sew" it up with zip ties (get red if you want them to match the plastics :))

Yamahauler
03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, if you want it to be tough as hell, get some tin, and some rivets. (see pic)
If you want it to look good, get a small drill bit, drill little holes in the plastic right by the crack. Then get some clear fishing line and stich it up.

I have tried adhesives before, they suck, the crack will seperate after you hit a bump.

MTS
03-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I have tried adhesives before, they suck, the crack will seperate after you hit a bump.
You should give him a close up of the Adheasives on the front fender...:lol:

crackshot
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Wow! That second pic gives you trike a "heavy metal" look! :)

Yamahauler
03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
You should give him a close up of the Adheasives on the front fender...:lol:
HAHA, next time im in Edmonton, I'll get a pic of it.
Turns out, I dont know how to use the Bondo fibreglass kit very well, turned out like crap.

Yamahauler
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Wow! That second pic gives you trike a "heavy metal" look! :)
Haha..you should see the rack my dad put on it...terrible!!

Also, notice the dint in the gas tank, it wouldnt start one day, dad layed the boots to it:lol:

solomyn
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
So, I take it there is no asthetic fix for this? Damn, I didn't want this thing to look like Frankenstien! I guess I should have known that it was going to break. It's just a shame, with the thing being original, and in mint shape, after 21 years!

Yamahauler
03-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Ive seen some repairs with drilling hole and sewing it with fishing line, they look awesome. That would probably be the best looking repair.

Yamahauler
03-08-2006, 08:50 PM
http://www.3wheeler.org/tech/FenderRepair/FenderRepair.html
heres a link to a write up some one made

crackshot
03-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Haha..you should see the rack my dad put on it...terrible!!

Also, notice the dint in the gas tank, it wouldnt start one day, dad layed the boots to it:lol:

I saw that big ol' mackin' dent in there! I thought you rolled it because of the dent and broken plastics! :lol:

Dammit!
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a set of 200x fenders that are cracked pretty bad. I was going to try some JB Weld on them just as an experiment. I used that stuff on a huge marble ashtray that broke completely in half 13 years ago and it's still holding. :lol:

smokey
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Go buy a plastic welder from www.rockymountainatv.com they are pretty cheap I think like 40 bux. The process is pretty simple just melt some screen into the backside for extra reinforcment. I welded up all of the cracks in my 350X fenders.

tecatecrazy
03-08-2006, 09:57 PM
to keep it from cracking any further, drill a small hole at the very end of the crack. this could save you from breaking off a whole chunk

Joe

1985 200s
03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
There is not an adhesive out there that will work. The only way to mend it is plastic welding. Stitching works pretty nice. The drilling the whole at the end of the crack is a must to keep it from growing.

85hondaatc125m
03-09-2006, 12:11 AM
The picture I am going to show you is very graphic and do not let any 125m lovers see it, they may cry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/Shotgun38/my_trike5.jpg
What I did to fix that little um...beauty matk I just bought a $10 sauldering(sp?) iron and melted it together, I do not have any after picture but it sure looks good and you can barely tell it was broken.

traxxasx
03-09-2006, 01:14 AM
The picture I am going to show you is very graphic and do not let any 125m lovers see it, they may cry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/Shotgun38/my_trike5.jpg
What I did to fix that little um...beauty matk I just bought a $10 sauldering(sp?) iron and melted it together, I do not have any after picture but it sure looks good and you can barely tell it was broken.

you went out and bought a soldering iron for solder and wires..and used the heat from it to melt the cracks toghther? lol 4 realz?

85hondaatc125m
03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
you went out and bought a soldering iron for solder and wires..and used the heat from it to melt the cracks toghther? lol 4 realz?
Hells ya, it was only 10$ and then you just smooth it out with the buffer on the dremel and you wouldnt even know it was cracked. Theres always a way to GIT-R- DONE

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
You could cover it up with a sticker lol