PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z porting and Piston questions-

Kintore
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi, since ive decided not to PV im going to port it. I got a few questions.

Here is the wrench report mod Click here for wrench mods (http://www.quadpit.com/mags/1985/3-4w-action/yam-wrench-report-01.htm)

And I also got quoted for a MX port by my local guy. He wants 130 CAN for porting and gaskets. With dome work like 150.

Whats better, Wrench mod 1? or MX port job?

And I know nathan answered this, porting doesnt take away from reliablity does it? How many of you guys have ported? Any disadvantages?

Im looking for a all around port, is there such a thing? Or a mid port job, I dont want high.

Thanks for awesome help 3WW!:w00t:

Bryan Raffa
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
im going with the phase 2 on my 86 and i dont have it together yet so i dont know how its going to performe with it but my 85 has got the intake ported and the head milled and its a noticeable mod for shure, are you talking about the exaust port job? like the wrench report says 1.5? as far as disavantages i dont know of any!

MTS
03-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi, since ive decided not to PV im going to port it. I got a few questions.

Here is the wrench report mod Click here for wrench mods (http://www.quadpit.com/mags/1985/3-4w-action/yam-wrench-report-01.htm)

And I also got quoted for a MX port by my local guy. He wants 130 CAN for porting and gaskets. With dome work like 150.

Whats better, Wrench mod 1? or MX port job?

And I know nathan answered this, porting doesnt take away from reliablity does it? How many of you guys have ported? Any disadvantages?

Im looking for a all around port, is there such a thing? Or a mid port job, I dont want high.

Thanks for awesome help 3WW!:w00t:
Do the MX if you wana Keep the low-mid power, the Wrench Mod raise's the exaust quite a bit and will take away from the bottem to give you a real strong top..

Darius1502
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Thats right, the Wrench mods will take away bottom end. Thats the great advantage that the Z has over the R. I would not sacrifice bottom.

Perhaps work on upping the compression my milling the head.

BigGreenMachine
03-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Remember that mods like porting, raising compression and bigger carbs really affect the powercurve and where the power is produced. I had a noticable loss in bottom end when I switched to the bigger 38mm carb. Shaving the head will give you some bottom end and the port should do the same.

Remember that the more modded the motor the more high strung and harder to ride it is in tighter trails and really enjoy. Arm yanking powerbands (the really thick rubber ones) are real tiring and usually harder to keep in the meat of the curve.

Kintore
03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys, im going with Halls performance. He sounds like he has JUST what im looking for. More of a all around porting vs just bottom and mid. Cant wait to send cylinder off to him :w00t:

Kintore
03-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Ok instead of a new thread, im going to ask on this one.

I was thinking of getting a new top end as well. Now my piston is like 20 years old, stock. Compression is good. When I tear it down to send to Jason for porting:naughty: , should I-

Re ring it?
Hone it?
Replace top end bearing(I got spare here)

Or replace the entire thing with a weisco, are pistons prone to cracking after sitting so long? Like I was driving her nice this year, now since im used to it ill be pushing her a bit more and more. Thanks!

darrel632
03-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm not you, but I would definately re-ring and hone, and if you've got 'em replace the topend bearings, nothing like a pre-emptive strike to eliminate issues before they arise.

BigGreenMachine
03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Do a check on your crank bearings too. Pull the stator cover and check for up and down play on the stator.

Definately get some new rings and a good hone at the least. A piston kit would be the right way to go.

Kintore
03-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Whats better? OEM or weisco?

And how often do pistons crack? Like if I add pipe, reed cage and porting, should I replace piston on my stock bore?(weisco)

Jason Hall
03-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I would put a pro-X piston In It If I was you. They are lighter & are easier on the cylinder walls. They are cast like the origional yamaha piston.

Yamahauler
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Does pro-X make a Tri-Z piston anymore? I thought they discontinued them...

Jason Hall
03-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I will check today, I know Derrick put one In his Z. I don't know how long ago though. I can't see why they would, but anything Is possible.

Jason Hall
03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes It looks like they did discontinue Pro-X pistons for the Tri-Z. What a bummer.

Kintore
03-10-2006, 07:59 PM
What about this?EBAY search (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=tri+z+piston&category0=)
EBAY piston link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-TRI-Z-250-WISECO-PISTON-KIT-STD-BORE-Z250-TRIZ_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQitemZ461263 1161QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

This is pro lite, any difference?

200x Basket
03-10-2006, 10:27 PM
let me get this straight.

you are sending a cylinder off to get ported but you still run the factory pipe, filter, etc?

i like a powerful engine but you need to get the stuff in order. a ported cylinder on all stock parts will give little to no benifit. a updated carb, pipe, K&N, and a fresh bore will give a better benifit and more reliability.

Kintore
03-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Ah I see your point, and have already order DG, Aktive reed cage and filter for it :)