PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an atc250es

Clioboy1200
03-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi all. I currently own a Honda Big Red 250 and after alotof years of hard wear and tear its gettin a bit grubby and its needing a major over haul!
Firstly and most importantly I cant engauge first and second gears on it so Im wondering what is wrong and will it be expensive to fix?? Can I still get parts for such a gearbox and if so where do I find them.
Also my front forks are completly mangled, welded rigid and are going to need replaced. Where could I get forks?? Finally my plastics are in bad shape, and the tank's as dented as my wallet is gona be after this, so where could I get my hands on these?? I dont mind using second hand parts, the bike is a working bike, and spends most of its life caked in mud!

Many thanks, Clioboy1200

Dan Tenn
03-11-2003, 09:50 AM
once you identify the transmission problem, your local Honda dealer will probably be able to get parts. For all the other parts, I suggest e-bay. You may be able to find a used transmission there too.

Tweeked
03-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Hey,
Here are a few links for parts for your 250es...There are a ton on ebay at resonable prices too.

Ebay 250ES Parts - http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&siteid=100&from=R8&s_partnerid=2&categorymap=6000&category0=6000&query=250es&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1=ebayreg

Ebay 250ES (Gas Tank) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2406562218&category=34286

250ES Stock Parts - www.BikeBandit.com

BikeBandit (250ES Transmission) - http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/PartsBandit/oem_schematic.asp?schem_dept_id=175743&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM++%28Stock%29+Parts&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1985&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=174376&model_dept_name=ATC250ES

BikeBandit (250ES Forks) - http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/PartsBandit/oem_schematic.asp?schem_dept_id=176102&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM++%28Stock%29+Parts&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1985&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=174376&model_dept_name=ATC250ES

250ES Stock Parts - www.Partsfish.com

There ya go - Good luck on the ole' Red.

-Mike

als250
03-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey Clioboy1200, Welcome to the board!! :D E-bay is a good place for used parts and so is this site! There are many great guys here more than willing to help you with parts and info. Check Good Buyer/Seller sticky and you'll see what I mean.(might want to check bad seller sticky too, there's a few to be wary of :( ). As for Bike-Bandit I just use them for the schematics, prices alittle high in my opinion. You're first purchase should be a "CLYMERS" manual for you're trike http://www.primediabooks.com/Products.asp?GRPID=1 or anywhere. Well, have fun! It's great to bring a trike back from "grubby" to something you're proud to ride!

Good Luck, Al

PowerTrike
03-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Wow! all the way from Ireland. Welcome to the board. You might possibly want to try to find a parts bike if you can. Good luck fixing it up. :)

Ivan T
03-12-2003, 03:50 AM
The best way may be to find another complete bike in a more usable state as bits are quite pricey.
The 250 was one of the better sellers over here due to its farmer friendly suspension and power. Bought a very usable sample for £350 a couple of months ago.

Use your old bike as a parts bike to keep the new one running.

Recently came over to Ireland and bought a 84 125m as we couldnt find any this side of the water. Looks like some pretty good riding terrain over there.

wolfspider
03-24-2003, 11:53 AM
hi clioboy1200
i live near harrogate n.yorks, i have a complete bottom end for a 250 es, got forks, scruffy but not dented petrol tank,rear plastics pretty good with one side cracked but not too bad, if you`re interested let me know?
cheers. :-D

Clioboy1200
03-24-2003, 12:10 PM
hey wolfie, Yop, still after the forks. The prob is the packaging, but stay tuned and I'll get back to ya! Thanx for the info.

Funny enough ive been noticing a drip coming from me tank!

wolfspider
03-24-2003, 12:24 PM
let me know, no rush there not going anywhere. you`ll get first stab at them. cheers wolfspider. :-D

Clioboy1200
03-24-2003, 12:34 PM
YO woolfie, wot shape are the forks in, and how much dosh you lookin?? Im really in need now cos the axle is about to fall out of the once threaded fork! lol.

Clioboy1200
03-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Oops, sorree! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

wolfspider
03-24-2003, 02:00 PM
there not mint but in workable condition with a few minor pits no botching been done to them, what are u bidding? i`ll try to get u a photo of them for you. are u interested in anything else so that when i go down to the farm where they are kept i can bring home anything else to take photo`s.
is it just the bottom crome sliders and legs u want or the red fork frame that fixes to the trike chassis?have found out how much they would cost to post? :-D

Clioboy1200
03-24-2003, 03:13 PM
its really just the forks I need at the mo. Dont need the red frame, mine aint bad. Id say shipping across the water couldnt be that much. Is there any cables on your bike, cos mine arn't great?? Apart from that Im pretty well sussed thanx.

wolfspider
03-24-2003, 03:31 PM
only choke cable thats any good i`m afraid./ cheers
wolfspider :(

Clioboy1200
03-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Well sure post the pics on here of the forks and Ill bid you a price. Should take a few pics of the other parts and post them here or on the classifieds. nice triz by the way!

wolfspider
03-28-2003, 11:31 AM
heres the piccies of the forks i hope this works, the sliders are quite badly pitted at the bottom, the fork legs are really good just need paint, they are fully working though with good spring and damping the seals look pretty good, let me know if trailprotrailpro interested forks are pretty rare for these bikes but i`m not going to ask the earth for them, bid me if u want them and we`ll take it from there.
thanx :-D

Clioboy1200
04-01-2003, 02:47 PM
hey, sorry. I just realised you put the forks on the net. Dont eat the head off me if its an insult, but how does £30 sound? :? They look in real good nic compared to the forks on the bike at the moment! is that thread on the left one alright?? also, you wouldnt have a starter relay off the same bike??
Many thanks! :D Clioboy.

FullBore
04-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Hey Wolfspider, Check your PM's on the 3wheeler.org board.

Nat

wolfspider
04-02-2003, 04:52 AM
when u say starter relay what part do u mean? the thread on the forks are good the pictures are a bit flattering to the crome sliders , but they do still work very well, i`ve been offered £30 for them, but the guy wasn`t sure yet that he wanted them, he`s getting back to me tomorrow, sorry about that i thought that u weren`t interested when u didn`t reply to the piccie post, do you still want them if he`s not interested, i think he`s buying a trike on ebay that needs the forks, i have most other parts.
sorry again :oops:

Clioboy1200
04-02-2003, 05:49 AM
yeah, still after the forks mate. Sure see if that guy still wants them and if not, get back to me. Dont want to be standin on anybodys toes like, but Im still mad after them! (i'll bid £31, lol)

Follow the black lead from the top of the top of the starter, and it leads to a small box with 2 large terminals on the top, one red one black. Its on the right side of the bike under the seat. The box is the starter relay. Ive bust mine! does your bike still have one??

wolfspider
04-02-2003, 09:14 AM
yeah it still there, do you want it? what am i bid? :D

Clioboy1200
04-02-2003, 09:41 AM
it aint a huge part, how does a tenner sound? do you know does it work?? Prob hard to check this. is the starter still there?

wolfspider
04-02-2003, 12:28 PM
starter relay a tenner sounds good if you pay for postage its in good condition no fraid wires or perished i don`t have any way of testing it but if it doesn`t work i`ll give you your money back providing i get my part back.
the starter isn`t a1 the teeth are a bit ropey but the brushes and copper stator are in good condition.
i think the forks are going to be available do you just want to buy the relay to beguin with to establish some trust? :-D

Clioboy1200
04-02-2003, 02:03 PM
yeah, no probs. I'll get in touch at the weekend cos I still wana check if the relay just needs the wires cleaned up but im pretty sure its fried. Would cheque be ok or how would you wana work it? If you find out the postage I'll make a cheque to cover it all, shouldnt guess it'll be too much.

wolfspider
04-02-2003, 02:16 PM
a cheques cool,i`ll email my address to u
i`ll try to find out what the postage will be.
cheers.

Xuk
04-06-2003, 08:27 AM
wolfy the guy you are on about who wants to buy them isnt goods**t is it ?

wolfspider
04-06-2003, 08:52 AM
no its not good s**t its a guy from liecster he came on saturdaY and bought quite a lot of stuff off me. :-D
by the way if u want a m,anual 4 your trike go here.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2410005483&category=9945
:-D

Xuk
04-06-2003, 11:04 AM
cheers wolf, but i dont have a ebay account and is very unlikely that i will in the future so could u get in touch with that guy and let me know from there on, if he has a msn account or if you can get his phone number for me that would be perfect, thanks alot for your help

Xuk