PDA

View Full Version : Tank Repair

seagullplayer
03-08-2006, 04:16 PM
It has been a while, but I have visited here before.

I have a 250 SX and the tank leaks bad. Don't laugh, but I tied a snapper lawn mower tank to the back rack and ran it last year.
But I would like to repait the tank, the paint is not all that bad, and I would rather not spend the bucks on a new plasit tank, at least not now.
I was in my local Indy shop and spy a tank prep and repair kit of some type (I'm pretty sure the name started with a K?). It has three bottols of snake oil with it, at least one of them is to break down the rust. And at least one of them coats the tank, the instructions where in the package... Has anyone used something like this with good results?
The holes are just very small pin holes in the bottom rim.

Thanks for the info.

ChrisG
03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
try using red kote - doesn't need all the steps like you explain. Many people have had success with this product.

darrel632
03-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Kreme is the product you saw, and it works fine for lining / plugging tiny holes, most people use muratic acid to break loose the heavy rust, you may find your holes alot bigger than what you imagined after an acid bath.

POR -15
REDKOTE
KREME are the 3 most popular tank liners on the market at this time, most people will say that REDKOTE the premier choice for a liner but no matter which you use follow the directions, search this forum for any of the above products, I'm sure you'll find a bunch of info.

seagullplayer
03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
So is the "Redkote" just have a single bottle of stuff you use?

Also, how do you seal of the threads after you remove the petcock?
I just figured to use masking tape, then cut through after it is setup
with an exacto knife?

ClayW
03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
It comes in a qt can. Its looks like, and acts like red molases. Kreme is garbage in my book and many other peoples. I have patched some holes big enough to fit a pencil in with red cote. I just loosely put some tape on the outside of the tank where the hole/holes were. Filled in nicely.

bigredhead
03-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Any sources for RedKote in canada by any chance.. i called all over town and the only option i've found is Kreem.... I need to do up a tank very soon !

seagullplayer
03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I made a couple of phone calls today aswell, I can't find anyone local that sells Redkote. I did find a radiator shop that offered to coat it for $80...