PDA

View Full Version : ATC200 not starting

Russell 350X
03-08-2006, 09:15 AM
My 83 200 dosent want to start, ever. I pull and pull, and sometimes I get a slight sputter and it dies. If you are lucky and it starts you have to hold it wide open and it still spits and sputters, and will eventually run OK. Could it be the pilot needle? I'm cleaning the carb again to check. Do you think I need a carb kit??

bigredhead
03-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I think you need a manual with the carb specs...

Do you have all the details for the air/fuel screw and idle screw settings ?

crackshot
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Get a carb kit, soak the parts, blow out all the openings and venturi's with compressed air and take time to rebuild. It will be well worth it.
Also, spend a couple more bucks at cycle shop and get an inline fuel filter while you are at it.
Kits are cheap and wil save you the trouble down the road.
First thing I do when I get a wheeler is rebuild the carb rather it needs it or not. Saves a lot of time troubleshooting problems and instantly eliminates carberation step.

Howdy
03-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Another thing to check is your spark. If your getting a weak spark it won't run right and will foul plugs.
Howdy

DaMadman
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
My 83 200 dosent want to start, ever. I pull and pull, and sometimes I get a slight sputter and it dies. If you are lucky and it starts you have to hold it wide open and it still spits and sputters, and will eventually run OK. Could it be the pilot needle? I'm cleaning the carb again to check. Do you think I need a carb kit??

This is probably a dumb question for most of you trike Junkies that know this already but being an 83 does it by chance have points in it and not solid state ignition

bigredhead
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
the 83 200 would have CDI and not points.

Russell 350X
03-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Another thing to check is your spark. If your getting a weak spark it won't run right and will foul plugs.
Howdy

It has great spark, good blue spark.

Get a carb kit, soak the parts, blow out all the openings and venturi's with compressed air and take time to rebuild. It will be well worth it.
Also, spend a couple more bucks at cycle shop and get an inline fuel filter while you are at it.
First thing I do when I get a wheeler is rebuild the carb rather it needs it or not. Saves a lot of time troubleshooting problems and instantly eliminates carberation step. crackshot

This is probably what I'm gonna do then, I just need the money. Thanks guys.

trikes4life
03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
First thing I do when I get a wheeler is rebuild the carb rather it needs it or not. Saves a lot of time troubleshooting problems and instantly eliminates carberation step.

defently rebuild the carb has solved my problems before.

Banage
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
i got two 200's and i had the same problem, on one, i fixed it with a new plug AND plug whire. The other was the gas line, a new one fixed it right up because i went with a bigger size then what the guy before me had.

edog
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Check the valve lash.

Russell 350X
03-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Check the valve lash.

Thats what I'm doing next, I need to get my Clymer manual back then I will do that.

Russ