PDA

View Full Version : just picked up an 81' 185s !!!

83185s
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
well saturday i picked up an 81 185s for 200 bucks...needs tires but thats about it...and guess what..it still has the auto decompression on the pullstarter!!! its all there..its not in too bad of shape..i was thinking about putting my 83' forks on it to have front suspension cause i know its gonna be a rough ride! im glad i am getting back into it tho!!!

Somekindofjerk
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Leave it stock, not to many old machines like that around in that good of shape! Great find and even better price. Got any pics?

dufrain
03-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I tell you what will make that thing have as nice of a ride as possible,Get the AMS Fox AT tires for it.They are 2 ply radials with a knob type Tread .I put them on my 110 and they really take up the bumps with the radial construction.They do great in the mud to.
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/f/o/x/600pix/foxat.jpg

83185s
03-07-2006, 11:11 PM
well it had like no compression when i tried so i took the top end apart and put it back together..turns out the brand new spark plug they put in is too short...and there was alot of carbon build up on it but other than that its all nice and clean..its never been rebuilt is what i was told and it has a stock piston in it..the headgasket believe it or not did not even come apart when i took it apart..so i put it back together and now i can barely turn it with my hands on the comp stroke and when the valves lift..so id say it should be good to go with the right plug wich i have a few layin around from my other 185s and 200x ...i have alot of top end parts for them...here in a few days with my time off of work im gonna put it back on the frame and see if itll fire..it should..i dont see any other problem with it ...when i picked it up they said it needed a new cdi wich is y they never rode it in the past year..so i got to lookin at my parts and that on is a round box cdi and all mine are the square box..so i switched the wiring harnesses from my 185 to it and now it should work if thats in fact what it was...if not its most likely the stator coil and i hate dealin with those things but they are easy to fix ...i had so many problems with my old stator coils becuase the pull rope case didnt have the decomp cable and rubber gromet to keep the water out...this does so it shouldnt be a problem with it if thats what it is ...it should last awhile if i put a new one in....i put some 93 octane in it to clean it out when it fires up for the first time in awhile...i cant wait to hear it...im putting my other exhaust on it and keeping the stock one cause its original...and i bent one of the prongs that clamp to the header on it cause it was all rusted and didnt want to come off...but other than that i didnt mess anything up on it ...lol...anyway...those tires look like they do pretty good all around...im thinkin about getting another set of trail pros for it tho..i had them on my 185 and i dont care what anyone says they do great...trails mud snow,, anything but dry pavement is the only problem..they like to grab ALOT..lol..luckily i never flipped it on pavement..i havnt checked out any tires recently..like the past 6 months so i gotta look around and see what i like again..and then get my payments paid on other stuf and start puttin money into it...i think it was a great deal even...if i put any modifications on it i am leaving the originals in the garage and not getting rid of them...for an 81 it looks great...i have no pics yet..havnt had time...you will all see it at tf06 tho i hope...anway...with the tires...i have a good front tire off my other 185, i was going to put that one and the front tire off this one on the back since they are the same and put the good rear tire on the front...that way i can have matching tires in the back...the front tires are the same on both bikes, and the rears are knobbies so it should do ok...they are all 22 11 8's and all balloon tires too..ill be floatin through the mud! lol...and my carb on it...uh..that thing p.o'd me today..the slide is stuck in the carb..i put some gas on top to help loosen it up cause i have no wd-40...i plan on takin it apart and cleaning it too...the bike should run great when its back together...