PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z and 250R gearing?

nouseforaname90
03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a question. Why are the Tri-Z and 250R geared so much differently? Tri-Z is like 14/44, and the 250R is 13/39 I think. Why so much different? They're just about the same bike, aren't they?
And since I am buying Derricks modded Z, what gearing do you guys think will give me the most speed, but yet have enough power to get me going fairly quickly.
My main question is why is the gearing so much different.. They don't have much difference in power..

westcoast TRI-Z
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Some say that Yamaha's real intentions with the Z was for the all-around rider or a trail-goer and not a racer (perhaps why the gearing is different). Whether that was true, I'm not sure. Either way, both machines are designed for high performance. Personally I feel the stock gearing and stock power of the Z is plenty and just right,, plenty of speed and the off-the-line accleration to get me there. I live on land that is one big hill, it's sloped and rutted and I still sometimes get unwanted wheelies when shifting into 3rd. If I were to gear it up, the Z would probably be bogging a lot, and If I were to gear it down, I'd be pulling more wheelies (at least on my land). A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure of riding my first 1985 ATC 250r. I never got to open her up (3rd gear was the highest I got it in), because I was riding it around a track along with the Z. On that track, I felt that powerwise, they were very close, the biggest difference being when that power came on. I agree that the R is more "midrange" and the Z more "low-end" and I feel that has to do with the gearing (along with piping, and other engine characteristics.)

slothminx
03-07-2006, 03:14 PM
The Z stock is 13/44 ;) Kintore has tried 12 on his and found it to be too wheelie happy and toppin out, but going to 14 would be too high. He rides fast trails and says he never finds himself topping the Z out.

I will be keeping mine the stock 13 front. First gear on them is quite low enough for me.

nouseforaname90
03-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Derrick says that the sprockets should probably be replaced soon, and I have a 350X 40 tooth rear sprocket that is in great shape. Would that fit on there and what would it be like with a 40 tooth rear? Anyone ever try it?

Kintore
03-07-2006, 04:47 PM
The Z stock is 13/44 ;) Kintore has tried 12 on his and found it to be too wheelie happy and toppin out, but going to 14 would be too high. He rides fast trails and says he never finds himself topping the Z out.

I will be keeping mine the stock 13 front. First gear on them is quite low enough for me.

Thanks for replying for me Will:lol:

But yes, I found a old 12 laying around and stuck it on for temp. I find that it tops out TOO easy but she is a beast for wheelies.:w00t:
I still think that 20's and a 13 tooth front, give me a top speed of about 100-105 km and it moves along rather fast.

So all in all, try 13 to start, then go from there.:welcome:

03 ORANGE SHEE
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
my pv z runs 14/40 with 20 inch tires and the six speed trans

nouseforaname90
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Is that faster than the stock gearing or what did you gain from it?