PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 200s fender repair

Frankencelery
03-06-2006, 08:45 PM
My new '85 200s has a large crack in the rear fender. I'd like to hear what other people have done to repair these and what has worked well. I'm leaning towards riveting a piece of something to the inside. I purchased a 1/8" flat piece of aluminum, thinking that would be perfect, but I didn't take into account the curve of the fender, and the aluminum isn't at all flexible at that thinkness. I either need a thiner piece, or something else altogether.

http://kottum.mystarband.net/3ww/200SFenderCrack.jpg

Take a look at the pic. What do you guys think?

Mobular
03-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Stitch it with nylon zip ties or heavy fishing line. Both of those have a cleaner look than a hillbilly rivet job.

dickieg89
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
small width red zip ties would look good, jeswinehart has a good idea with trying super glue first.

Frankencelery
03-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I haven't ruled out the zip ties, but that kind of repair seems to result in a floppy fender. And you think that RIVETS are hillbilly? Um...ok!

Bunyan
03-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Zip ties worked real well for me. The fender ended up real sturdy. I just did one per every half inch.

dickieg89
03-06-2006, 09:35 PM
The closer together they are, it ties them together real nice. I have a big red that I didn't even notice the zip tie work on until about a week after I bought it. TEFZEL company makes all different sizes of ties.

Bryan Raffa
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
red zip ties work the best but you have to drill a small hole at the verry end of the crack this will prevent it from cracking any more!!!!!!
no matter how you go about it drill the hole at the end of the crack!!!

Frankencelery
03-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Drilling the hole is a great idea! That makes sense to me. So nobody likes my aluminum-backed riveted repair? Ok, you guys are probably a lot more experienced at this than me. I'll consider the zip ties. :-)

ATCnut
03-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Before you go to zip ties, take a look at this

http://www.urethanesupply.com/dirtbikes.html

These guys have plastic welders, you can make the repair look very good using there stuff. I have one of the cheap kits, it works ok, I am looking at one of the better units.