PDA

View Full Version : New guy with questions.

Pacer
03-06-2006, 01:41 PM
How do all, I'm new. I havn't had a trike since my Yamaha 175 as a kid (still at my parents), and am having a blast with this thing. It is an 86 Honda 250R. It has suposedly been bored out to 310. I question this, any way to tell? Next, I just put a FMF pipe on it, this messed with the jetting. The idle is fine, but after that it gets dirty, but not unridable. Will the needle be able to make this adjustment? I should mention the jetting was alittle off on the top before I changed the pipe. The other problem with the fuel is the premix. I noticed on the frame it said 20:1. That seems extreme for today's oil. I mixed some Yamalube to 24:1 for my first two rides. Where should it be? Also I need help with tire selecion. All three are on the old side, but the front will problably last a little while longer. I live in the desert (Las Vegas), any advice? I had to change the handlebars out, and went with an ATV Hi bend, which is much lower, but also much wider than the ones that were on it. Is this a good move, bad move or just preferance? Also need rear brake pads. Where do you find them? Other than that I need to give the forks some love and get some plastic. Thanks for listening.

knsmodels
03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
cant help with any of your questions since I am a four stroke rider....but :welcome:

no doubt these guys will have all the answers for ya.....

Wickedfinger
03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Usually any performance modification to the exhaust or airbox requires some sort of rejet. In the past, I have found that FMF recommends that you upjet at least two sizes on the main. You may need to adjust the needle height too. - HOWEVER - given your location, you would need to call them and ask them specifics. I would do this sooner than later because it sounds to me like you are way lean (wont run past idle). Tell them as much as you know about the bikes mods - this is very important. I would also invest in a service manual of some sort - this will make life alot easier and may help you avoid costly mistakes. Its probably the best performance investment you can make for an ATV. As far as your oil selection goes - you can go with a good performance oil and mix it at what ratio the maker recommends. If you are using Yamalube, I wouldn't go much past 24:1. The bars are just rider preference, however, if you find your back starting to bother you, you might want to go with a more "swept back" bend then ATV-HI. That is the bend I have been using though for years and I'm 6'1". Tires - well, I would see what everybody else is using in your area - from what I've seen about the desert in Vegas, you wouldn't need paddles - its more rocky, right?.

traxxasx
03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
well i havent owned a 250r to answer any questions. but i just wanted to say hello, welcome and its good to see some other 3 wheelers out here in las vegas.

traxxasx
03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Usually any performance modification to the exhaust or airbox requires some sort of rejet. In the past, I have found that FMF recommends that you upjet at least two sizes on the main. You may need to adjust the needle height too. - HOWEVER - given your location, you would need to call them and ask them specifics. I would do this sooner than later because it sounds to me like you are way lean (wont run past idle). Tell them as much as you know about the bikes mods - this is very important. I would also invest in a service manual of some sort - this will make life alot easier and may help you avoid costly mistakes. Its probably the best performance investment you can make for an ATV. As far as your oil selection goes - you can go with a good performance oil and mix it at what ratio the maker recommends. If you are using Yamalube, I wouldn't go much past 24:1. The bars are just rider preference, however, if you find your back starting to bother you, you might want to go with a more "swept back" bend then ATV-HI. That is the bend I have been using though for years and I'm 6'1". Tires - well, I would see what everybody else is using in your area - from what I've seen about the desert in Vegas, you wouldn't need paddles - its more rocky, right?.

yes. it is hecka rocky out here. but if you go a littel father it startes to get sandy but not much. just get a good dirt tire and you will be straight.

Pacer
03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys, I think I am going to like it here. Hey Traxxasx we will have to meet up at apex one day. Or maybe Boulder City. Have you done any riding by the rifle range or the lake beds?

traxxasx
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys, I think I am going to like it here. Hey Traxxasx we will have to meet up at apex one day. Or maybe Boulder City. Have you done any riding by the rifle range or the lake beds?

sure havent by any rifle fields, or lake beds, but i have gone 2 apex a couple of times. im always down to meet up, but the problem with me is im still young and dont have a truck yet so its hard to get around with an trike. ill be 17 in like 20 days.

DeePa
03-07-2006, 08:01 PM
http://deepa.recongamer.com has the service manual for your trike. Download it for free.

You can get brakes cheap at www.mfgsupply.com, www.hyperparts.com, denniskirk.com or www.rockymountainatv.com . Find teh cheapest place with shipping and youe good to go.

Dennis Kirk and RockyMountain have wide selections of tires, and both have free shipping over 100 bucks, which is a great deal. I just ordered 2 maxxis razrs for 50 bucks a piece from rocky mountain, and shipping was 30 bucks, because i ordered them 2 weeks ago. I was so pissed when i saw their new promotion, i coulda saved 30 bucks haha. They are also based in Utah so youll get your stuff fast.

Best of luck with everything,
Mike