PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R headlight shell question

Nuke Em
03-05-2006, 11:29 PM
I cracked my headlight shell on my cherry 250(just makes me sick too) and I have bought 2 more recently. Neither of which have the molded saftey precautions on the top of the shell like the one I cracked. They ones I bought are smooth and have a sticker. Yes they are 86 shells and they all 3 have the same casting points so I am pretty sure they are OEM, not aftermarket items. Did Honda change production during mid operations?

Thanks,
Gary

Bryan Raffa
03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Ive found out that machines that are made in nov or dec of that year are usally the next years model ive found this out ordering parts for various dirt bikes and polaris atvs at our shop its happend quite a few times!!!! it happend to me a couple weeks ago with a suz.250 clutch the vin said it was a 86 but it really was a 87 it was made in dec.!!!!

Aussieduner
03-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Same deal here i just got ones with the decal instead of the molded warnings,i also hear that the new rear fenders are the same,maybe they are outsourced to another plastic company for Honda.

Aussie

Darius1502
03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Yes, I tried to figure this out last year. The molded warnings are worth more and are originals from at least the production date. At some point after '86 (possible '88 or even '92 or later) Honda got rid of the casting. As a result, the warning 'casting' is no longer found on any new 'replacement' OEM rear fenders or headlights.

So the casting is more 'sought after'. If you have good shape headlight with the casting...(and you are collector)...consider taking it off your 'rider'.

Nuke Em
03-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Kryten
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I wonder if that applies to all OEM replacement fenders, headlight shells from 1986-1987 having just a decal instead of the embossed or molded labels . Not just 250R, but all other models.

My '86 200X rear fender must be original since it has the molded warning labels.