PDA

View Full Version : tri z 5 or 6 spd trans

gplarryv
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
tri z owners
need some sugestions im getting ready to rebuild the lower end but im not sure about the trans so heres my questions

my trike is a 85 w/a 5speed
im building it for the dunes, drag racing and some michigan trail riding ( most of which are snomobile trails )
what would be the best choise the 5 or 6 speed and why if you dont mind explaining your combo's and the differances thanks larry

Mosh
03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
if i were goin to the dunes,i would suggest the 6 speed trans.you will need the extra gear to pull the dunes.you can always gear down your sprockets to get a good trail setup.but i would go for 6 speed for sure.that is one reason the banshee is such a great duner.if ya can get the gears go for it.the 5 spped trans from what i have heard is better suited for the motocross track and tight trail riding.that is what my z has.a five speed.i do mostly tight trails so it fits me well.

slothminx
03-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Actually, The 6 speed tanny gives no higher top speed at all..... the ratio of 5th and 6th gears is almost identical. :beer:

P.s hows the cover coming along?

Dammit!
03-05-2006, 05:36 PM
if i were goin to the dunes,i would suggest the 6 speed trans.you will need the extra gear to pull the dunes.you can always gear down your sprockets to get a good trail setup.but i would go for 6 speed for sure.that is one reason the banshee is such a great duner.if ya can get the gears go for it.the 5 spped trans from what i have heard is better suited for the motocross track and tight trail riding.that is what my z has.a five speed.i do mostly tight trails so it fits me well.

Actually you almost never hit 6th gear in the dunes. At least not the dunes out here. A five speed would be fine. The taller 4th gear in a five speed might even be prefferable.