PDA

View Full Version : 200s cylinder head locating dowel question...need help quick

DeePa
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I reassembled my 200s motor without one of the two locating dowels. They fir between the cylinder and cylinder head. I used a OEM gasket, and the dowel didnt fit inside of the gasket, so i left it out. I have since bought a complete gasket kit, so now i have the gasket where it will fit, but the motor is back in the frame, but i havent started it due to not knowing if itll hurt the engine or not, and i've had other projects since then.

Is it OK to leave the dowel out? Whats the point? So the head doesnt move, or is it for oil to get up to the cam... If the motor is torqued down, will it leak oil from that spot, and will any enging damage be caused if the dowel isnt used?

i REALLY dont feel like tearing the top end down since its already in the frame, even though it isnt bolted in yet. Of course, if I HAVE to, i will, because i dont want to ruin my little 200s haha.

THanks,
Mike

MTS
03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
You need that dowl, you Could have oil Pissin out the side of the head, along with valve dammage if its not lined up properly, That dowl is a must.

DeePa
03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
would it affect compression at all?

I just put it back together, and now i gotta take it apart lol hahahah son of a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*

MTS
03-05-2006, 05:19 PM
would it affect compression at all?

I just put it back together, and now i gotta take it apart lol hahahah son of a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*
If the cylinder is on exactly right with out the dowl it could blow All the compression out the side....i Did this with my ATC90.....Not fun...:lol: 200s i can do in my sleep quite literally....:p

DeePa
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
yeah i did notice that the compression didnt feel the same...

i already have it all apart with new gasket and the dowel replaced, but i gotta go back to school so i just have to take care of the cylinder head cover gasket and install it, then the cdi and rotor and stuff. I hear you on the whole not needing a manual thing, only think i use it for is torque values and the cylinder head cover gasket areas...ike where to put it and not to put the gasket maker.

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike