PDA

View Full Version : plastic renew

bondoboy
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Don't waste your time or money on this trash. I followed the instructions and the first time I washed it half of the stuff came off. Their customer service sucks too.

Wickedfinger
03-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Sounds like you didn't prepare the plastic properly ...... I wouldn't recomend it either - but - for different reasons. While the finished product ends up looking good, you need to put HOURS of sanding and resanding into it. Its just not worth the time if you ask me.

crackshot
03-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I was skeptical on using it too. Thats like plastic polish too on convertibles with clear plastic rear windows. You can use the stuff every week to keep it from "fogging" but all it does it keep it pliable so it does not crack as fast.
What were you trying to "renew"?

dblshockpower
03-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Best thing I found was polishing compound and a buffer.

bondoboy
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I did all of the plastic on my 350x. And yes I prepared it properly. I have body shop experience so I know how important prep is.

breastman569
03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
i dont mess with that stuff i just go stright to color sanding it may take longer but the out come will please the hell out of you. here is what i did to my tank on my 86R with a little time and wet dry sand paper.

Yamahauler
03-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Use an air power polisher with a low to medium cut compound. We did that to my front fender on my YTM, it looks brand new, you can see your reflection in it.

Dont waste your time with that renew crap, it washes off

We also use that to clear the lens up on the sandblasting mask when it gets pitted to bad.

Kryten
03-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Plastic Renew works great if you ask me. It did require lots of sanding, but if you follow the directions and buff with steel wool and re-apply three or four coats like it says, it won't just wash right off. It also says not to use any kind of soap when washing.

SWIGIN
03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
iv used it and think its great stuff...but red is the hardest color to get to look good...never had it wash off ether