PDA

View Full Version : I need help! :( What would you do,..?

nouseforaname90
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
So.. this is my dilema. The 350X project really started to come together until I took a look at the engine last night. I thought that it was a small crack in the engine that I could easily repair using the Magnum stuff.. but I almost pooped myself when I saw this:
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/100_0446.JPG (http://s2.supload.com/free/100_0446.JPG/view/)
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/100_0445.JPG (http://s2.supload.com/free/100_0445.JPG/view/)

I took it to a local welder and he told me that he couldn't fix it unless it was tore apart because it could possibly explode? I don't think that using the "Magnum" stuff on it would be a very good idea at all (unless its very strong?), but I can't tear an engine part either. What would you guys do about this? Is it possible to weld it as it is? I need help!!
This is the last major hurdle to get over to finish this 350X (aside from painting the engine), and if I have to give up because of this stupid little thing, I'm going to be mad!!
So what would you guys do about this?
(Oh.. by the way, I have the parts that fit into there.. and it is a clean break on both of them..)
Thanks
Ben

DeePa
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
how much to weld it? I have a complete bottom end + aftermarket piston + cylinder in my garage that is just sitting and have no use for. The cases are fine. There is a problem with the bottom end, it will do one stroke and then itll stop.

Make me an offer on it if you want it...You could just use the cases and part the rest out if you wanted. I paid 160 for it over the summer...

Hope this helps,
Mike

Iwantatrike
03-04-2006, 06:08 PM
That looks to be real bad.I would try to get it welded . and also I dont think it would explode.

nouseforaname90
03-04-2006, 07:19 PM
He said it would be very cheap to weld it, but he is unwilling to do it because it could possibly explode. He says that with any combustion engine, gas gets into the oil and if there is enough in there it could result badly. I'm unsure about this, but I kind of trust him because he is an excellent welder with alot of experience. I don't know.

And Deepa.. the problem with that is that I don't know how to tear engines apart.. otherwise that would have been my solution to it awhile ago rather than welding. Is it hard to tear an engine apart?

Howdy
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I have had a few welded in the past, but none that bad. I have never been required to split the cases for them to do it. But with that big of a break and location I would probably split the cases just so they can weld the inside as well. This would make it stronger. You just need to be 100% sure the weld isn't in the way of gears and such.
Howdy

FYI, I just had 2 Polaris Tranny's welded up today. There was 3 spots that needed welded. It cost me $27 total. I have pics if needed.

nouseforaname90
03-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Well if I am going to take it apart to get it welded, I might as well just get new cases--right?

DeePa
03-04-2006, 10:08 PM
cases are expensive, new and used. If he can successfully repair the cases, thats your cheapest bet. If you need new cases, you have to take the old ones off anyways. If you take your time you should be all set. How is the bottom end on the motor...are you sure its 100 % top notch? Or could there be unforseen problems later on. If the cases are fooked that bad, id suspect that there could be something else wrong with it, and id be scared to throw a cylinder and piston on that and run it not knowing how good the bottom end really is.

dividebyzero
03-04-2006, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Howdy]I have had a few welded in the past, but none that bad. I have never been required to split the cases for them to do it. But with that big of a break and location I would probably split the cases just so they can weld the inside as well. This would make it stronger. You just need to be 100% sure the weld isn't in the way of gears and such.
Howdy

The cases are your bread and butter.Just like howdy said,with that big of chunk,welding is 1 option,but i think getting a new case would be better.Look on ebay or here would be good.

nouseforaname90
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
The guy told me that the motor ran very strong when he bought the bike. He rode it for while, and then decided to tear it apart to re-do it, but hurt his back in the process so he decided to sell it. While he was trying to take the engine out, the front mounting bolt was stuck so he had to cut it out, then he tried to hammer the bolt out of the front mount, and it ended up cracking the case.. So as far as I know, the engine is in very good condition.

chris200x
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm starting to think you might have been better off with that 200x. did that guy mention anything about that when you bought it?

With the price of 350x parts these days I think you are in for an expensive repair. :(

EDIT: You just answered my question... :lol: :)