PDA

View Full Version : never mind

xd 200x
03-04-2006, 01:51 AM
ok, I have been sitting on this for awhile. If you want a 200x to rip this is how. an old flat track racer taught me this actually he did this one for me. Those of you who know what is done. Can do this at home. those who dont dont try this .

NOS_350X
03-04-2006, 03:21 AM
Removal of a flywheel? umm i shure woudnt recommend that.

trainingwheeler
03-04-2006, 03:23 AM
what was done ?

xd 200x
03-04-2006, 04:00 AM
that crap ass counter weight has been removed

short4stuff
03-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey that probably removes a lot of weight, sounds awsome... My only doubt would be, doesn't that act as a balancer? Or wasnt the flywheel balanced with that piece on it... meaning your flywheel should be balaced once thats off??

250r'en +TCB
03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
I bet it will "rip", but for how long???? A couple hours if your lucky???

crackshot
03-04-2006, 10:30 AM
First pic looks like it has a shiny racing rivet in it.

NOS_350X
03-04-2006, 12:40 PM
If your going to be removing weight from the flywheel it needs to be done by a machine, And one that can make shure its balanced. I would recomend to take it to Yamahondaman. He lightened my flywheel for my 350 and i love the result.

xd 200x
03-04-2006, 03:36 PM
you just grind off the rivits. He ran it this setup on both his bikes in the 85-86 season. including his super mod class bike. He says it is cool without balancing. I trust the man who invented it. also He might be selling me is 200x flat track missel raceing kit. With the rear strut.

anyway according to him with that weight removed it will hole shot anything. He ran his 200x in the 250 class and spanked them.

TimSr
03-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Hmmm..... I wonder why they put that unecessary weight on there in the manufacturing process if it is not necessary and only slows it down?

chris200x
03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Hmm, never seen nothing like this before. do you have to do anything else to the motor? I'm just wondering because if some of the younger folks on here don't go out and pull the flywheel and do this mod and mess up there motors. Maybe some of the old racers on here can add to this. I believe catfish used to race 200x's as well. Or maybe Mr. Coe perhaps?

Vealmonkey
03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
It probably worked well in the racing engines, the majority of which were torn down on a regualr basis. But for an engine that isn't torn down on a regular basis and checked, probably not good from a long engine life standpoint.

xd 200x
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Hmmm..... I wonder why they put that unecessary weight on there in the manufacturing process if it is not necessary and only slows it down?
The only reason that is there is to keep the engine from over reving. Look I was just trying to help people out. I guess I'll keep stuff he tells me to myself. Because aparntly stuff you guys dont know about dosent work. When you have your crank lightened they remove the weight. I wish the :banned: was here I know he would back me up on this.

TimSr
03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
The only reason that is there is to keep the engine from over reving. Look I was just trying to help people out. I guess I'll keep stuff he tells me to myself. Because aparntly stuff you guys dont know about dosent work. When you have your crank lightened they remove the weight. I wish the :banned: was here I know he would back me up on this.

No reason to get upset, and NO, no "certain people" deleted your post because they didnt agree with it. YOU locked it. No reason to get upset, run to other sites, and badmouth people, and accuse me of deleting your posts.

There is a valid question here as to the function of these spare weights that you say are only put on there to act as a rev limiter.

If your going to be removing weight from the flywheel it needs to be done by a machine, And one that can make shure its balanced.

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make, and everyone else in this thread. We all understand that lightening the flywheel makes it rev quicker. Nobody is arguing that. If you take off balance weights, it will lighten your flywheel, but if it throws it off balance, it will also cause excessive vibration and premature bearing wear, among other things. This is why its something that is precision machined, not done with a grinder, a punch, a hammer, and a 12 pack. Its not a big deal if you rebuild your motor after every few hours of runtime, like some racers do.

BigGreenMachine
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Agreed, well said Tim.