PDA

View Full Version : A Tech Question About A Honda 185

honda83
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I am new to this site and just purchased a honda 185s about 6 months ago. I owned a honda 4 wheeler awhile back and got bored with it. I am now addicted to 3-wheelers, they're the best.

When I first purchased the trike the spark plug was carbon fouled. So I bought a new plug (same as first) and I sprayed carb cleaner thru the bike. The bike runs good when I run it, however if it sets for a week I notice the plug now is fouled with oil. I figured it might be the piston rings or maybe I need to go with a hotter plug? What do you guys think?

Thanks

Dads
03-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Could be rings, could be valve guides leaking.

Vealmonkey
03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
After you are done riding the bike, do your check your plugs? I'm no expert, but I find it hard to believe that your plugs foul from not even running. Next time you switch plugs and you go riding, check the plugs when you are done. Is anyone else riding the trike that you don't know about?

Dads
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
And the black on the plug, is it dry or wet looking.

honda83
03-03-2006, 11:39 PM
The black on the plug is wet -oil based.

The plug is wet oil based after I ride it, however it is not as noticeable as when it has been setting for awhile.

Thanks

crackshot
03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Does it smoke when riding? What brand and number plug you using?

honda83
03-04-2006, 12:05 AM
It does not really smoke when riding. I use a honda NGK plug-DR8ES-L. It runs real good and strong.

When it sets for a week, I clean the plug before starting it cause it is real wet with oil. Its weird, because it was once carbon fouled-I ran a can of carb. cleaner thru it, now its oil fouled.

Dads
03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
""I ran a can of carb. cleaner thru it, now its oil fouled.""

To much of that washes the oil off the cylinder wall and the rings wear quick.

To much gas can make it look like oil on the plug. but will not feel the same.
( gas is a solvent not a lubricant )
You can pull the carb and look to see if the intake valve is wet with oil,
and carbon.

Vealmonkey
03-04-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking carbon fouling and gas. Have you smelled the plug, soiunds kind of dumb, to see if it smells like gas. Your carb could be flooding out and leaking down the intake. It sounds at the very least that you need to get a can of carb dip and a rebuild kit. You can get carbon buildup from unburnt fuel too.

honda83
03-04-2006, 07:33 PM
What exactly is carbon dip?

So are you guys are thinking it might be the carb. instead of the rings.
It could be gas on the plug instead of oil, i will check the bike in about a week-its at my grandparents now.

The reason I figured it could be the rings because it matched the way the plug looked in the honda manuel-when its oil fouled. However, it does not really smoke, maybe just a little carb. smoke when I start it.

honda83
03-04-2006, 07:33 PM
What exactly is carbon dip?

So are you guys are thinking it might be the carb. instead of the rings.
It could be gas on the plug instead of oil, i will check the bike in about a week-its at my grandparents now.

The reason I figured it could be the rings because it matched the way the plug looked in the honda manuel-when its oil fouled. However, it does not really smoke, maybe just a little carb. smoke when I start it.

Dads
03-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Smoke when you start is oil getting by the valve guides. no big deal if it clears in a min. or two.

honda83
03-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah the smoke clears after starting it.

My concern is the constant wet plug.

sandpuppi101
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I've had this issue with 185s's and 200s's before,it sounds to me like your slow jet on the bottom of the carb is the issue here.That little jet has given me more plug issues than you can imagine.Do yourself a favor and get a rebuild kit for the carb and be done with it ,before you end up spending 30.00 on a box of spark plugs.I have cleaned those carbs 20 times before and the bottom line is when that jet goes bad ,it can't hardly be adjusted without fouling plugs!! That's what I would do!!!

sandpuppi101
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I've had this issue with 185s's and 200s's before,it sounds to me like your slow jet on the bottom of the carb is the issue here.That little jet has given me more plug issues than you can imagine.Do yourself a favor and get a rebuild kit for the carb and be done with it ,before you end up spending 30.00 on a box of spark plugs.I have cleaned those carbs 20 times before and the bottom line is when that jet goes bad ,it can't hardly be adjusted without fouling plugs!! That's what I would do!!!

honda83
03-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys.