PDA

View Full Version : T3 guys....

MIK6
03-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Has anyone tried to polish a stock alum swinger?? I brought mine on the road w/ me to polish in my spare time. I have had a tuff time getting a good shine on it, the Alum is very porus (sp?). I keep sanding and it brings up more pores, they never seems to go away. Has anyone else had this trouble? I am only working w/ different grits of sand paper and compound w/ a dremmel, think I'll have better luck w/ the polishing wheel when I get home?
Any experiances will be great.

THANKS
MIK6 / Mike

ATCWRENCH
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
if its the 84-5 swinger its not aluminum, very soft steel. I thought it was aluminum as well but i had a buddy look at it who is a machinist, said it was steel. he thought it was aluminum at first as well, took a file to it and it gummed up the file like aluminum does, but what told him it was steel was the old magnet trick, magnets wont stick to aluminum.

Jeb
03-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Mik6, I've never tried to polish one.

For the other guys, the 86/87 KXT stock swingarm IS aluminum. The 84/85 is steel.

Bigbore
03-03-2006, 11:53 AM
The reason your running into pours is probably it's a cast part. I had some of the same issues on my boat parts. I was going to polish the Harden Exhaust manifolds, bell housing, and some other parts. Started and pours started coming up everywhere. The more I tried to sand and flush them out with the material around it, more were coming out. I had to stop. I got some high temp metal filler and then had them powder coated aluminum in color. A car intake manifold is a more dense casting and allows for polishing. Some castings aren't as good and because of the high air bubble content when they’re casted they can't be polished as easily. Billet parts don't have any air in them and are real easy to polish.

Good luck