PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki ALT50 Tire Removal Question - 6" Rim

thedeatons
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello all... I have a super clean ALT50 (my daughter's trike) that I am having some trouble with. I am having ZERO success breaking the beads on each of the wheels. I have tried the following:

-Using my Jeep to run over the tire, as mentioned in a bead breaking post
-Standing on the tire (straddling the rim) and jumping on both sides at the same time after applying a degreaser/removal catalyst such as liquid wrench

The motorcycle dealership wants $35-40 PER WHEEL to break these beads, and says that they are a major pain. Their labor rate is $80/hour (California good weather tax at work), so basically 30 minutes per wheel is what they're estimating. I also tried going to Les Schwabb and they could not remove them because their machine could not go to that small of a diameter (6 inches). The motorcycle dealership said the same thing, and also said that they would hae to remove the tire by hand (using hand tools). The guy in So-Cal that used to hook me up charged $7/wheel for removal, and I don't know why the big difference here. The machine is very clean, and I'm hoping there is no rust inside, because of the current condition, but I suppose you never know. Does anyone have any good ideas that I can use, or has anyone tried the utility tire bead breaker from Harbor Freight?

Please refrain from suggestion I use explosive chemicals of any type.... Thanks! James

TimSr
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Usually the little ones arent that tough to break down!

One place I might suggest is calling around some lawnmower shops. They may have equipment more suited for the small tires, and their labor rates are probably a lot better. Ive never heard of a dealership charging that much, and nomrally its by the wheel, not the standard labor rate, usally beacuse it takes only couple minutes to break it down with the right equipment, and they make more by the wheel. If its going to take them 30 minutes per wheel, they surely dont have the right equipment!!!!Back when I worked in the gas station I could have broke down, and mounted and balanced 4 car tires within a half hour.

Unless there is something incredibly unique about the Suzuki wheels, you shouldnt have to pay more than 1/2 hour total labor.

thedeatons
03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Excellent! I will attempt to find a local mower shop tomorrow... Thanks! By the way, nothing special about these wheels, just standard two piece steel wheels, only tiny..!

MTS
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Excellent! I will attempt to find a local mower shop tomorrow... Thanks! By the way, nothing special about these wheels, just standard two piece steel wheels, only tiny..!
Im sure it could be busted With a bead breaker on a tire machine....even if its that small it shouldnt matter to break the bead...Not hard,,,,,OR...Find someone that dose semi tires, ask them to take the bead axe to it.,..only thing is they better be GOOD or they could dent the rim, i find a mixture of canola oil, thinned with gas works real good to lube up the bead to pop it off.....my .02 cents.

mike from long island
03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
200xman and myself did his alt50 tires. they were a pain in the arse!!!!!! i had to stand on the tire as he worked the beadbreaker tool around the rim. we use WD-40 as well. it will work better with two people one with their weight and the other working the tool. his were rusted to the bead as well. we got them after a few beers and no one lost and eye this time ;)

good luck

thedeatons
03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Should I have the rim halves bolted together or does it matter? The motorcycle shop said that they needed them bolted together....

mike from long island
03-03-2006, 12:18 AM
it helps to have them bolted togther. stabizes them better

grundlegrabber
03-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Keep the halves bolted together. Take the wheel to a good local garage or tire shop (I'd suggest a commercial tire service if possible) that has a Coats 50-50 or equivalent rim-clamp style tire machine (widely popular). The bead breaker on this machine will do the job, if the person using it knows what they're doing. This is how I do all my tires, and it's the only method I have found to work well without damaging wheels. A friend of mine works at a commercial truck tire service garage. They wouldn't charge more than $10 or so to just break the beads. Tell that dealer of yours to stick it where the sun don't shine....

ATCnut
03-03-2006, 01:01 AM
One trick I use for breaking the bead is to use a car jack. Put the edge of the foot of the jack on the edge of the tire, and jack up the car. It will push the tire right off.

dufrain
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
The bead breaker from jc whitney will do it if you want to have the tool for the job next time.And bolt the wheel back together it will just scoot one half on the other when you try to break the bead.

DeePa
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
dealers wanted 25 dollars to dismount and mount a new tire. I went to a lawn and tractor backyard dealership and he did them for me for 7 bucks a piece...

200xman
03-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Tell whoever tries to break the bead to be careful. Those rims are pretty flimsy. I ruined one trying to get the tire off. Like Mike said, they were 1 of the hardest tires I ever tried to dismount.