PDA

View Full Version : Is storing your trike standing up bad?

Chemical442
03-10-2003, 01:18 PM
I saw ATCnut stores his ATC's standing up for space reasons. Great idea! I may have to do this with my 110 BUT I was wondering if this could cause any problems in the carb with the float or in the bottom end with the oil....?

ATCnut, wanna give me your two cents? Anyone else?

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/download.php?id=2087

200xman
03-10-2003, 01:27 PM
I would at least run the gas out before standing it up and then let it sit for a few minutes after putting it back on it's wheel so that everything will even out.

Just my .02

TimSr
03-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Nothing catastrophic will happen, but things to watch for leaking, depending on the model, are crank case vent tube and gas cap. Hopefully the gas is shut off, but in most cases the carb float bowl will empty itself into your airbox via the intake. Ive seen lots of guys transport them like this when the pickup wasnt quite big enough, but havent been that short of space to store them like that.

Howdy
03-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Back in the days of New 3 Wheelers the dealers around here would line them up on the back to save space. I wished I would have gotten pictures of it back then. The one dealer had about 20 of them lined up out front. It was impressive to say the least.

The only thing I would do is every month or 2 set them back down and run the motor for 5-10 minutes to keep oil in all parts of the motor. Then shut off the gas and drain the carb. Set it back up and your good to go.

Howdy

atc86r
03-10-2003, 06:32 PM
seems like the bottom end of 2 stroke holds oil and it would work its way into carb. air filter also?

NOS_350X
03-10-2003, 08:12 PM
just turn the gas off and run the gas in the carb out of it then you wont have any problems you should do this anyways just in case someone trys to steel it they have to pull it a couple more times buying you more time
anywasy i have never had a problem or seen a problem standing them up as long as the gas is ran out of the carb and is off

Tri-Z_Jim
03-10-2003, 09:58 PM
ATC86r,,Are you referring to transmission oil in the cylinder or 2 stroke oil building up in the cylinder??When I rebuilt my blaster,my crankcase was wet w/ 2 stroke oil but there wasnt enuff to drain back into the carb.If theres motor/tranny oil in the crankcase you have other probs.
Back to the topic,,,I dont see a problem with storing ATV(C)'s upright as long as nothing leaks.I leave mine rubber side down.

ATCnut
03-10-2003, 10:47 PM
I have been standing trikes up for 20 years. I drain the tanks down to reserve, and run the carb dry before standing it up. If you do not drain the carb, the gas runs out of the overflow tube. If the gas in the tank is above the cap, it will leak. I have never stored a 2-stroke this way.