PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt starter inop

the great gazoo
03-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I rebuilt my starter today(2 of the 4 brushes were gone), seemed fairly easy- When I got it back together it won't spin. What could I have done wrong?

Unclediezel
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM
do the brushes move freely in their seats?--are the springs long enough to press the brushes against the armature?

bigredhead
03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
you replaced all 4 brushes right ? ( you should !! )

you may need to file the edges of the brushes a bit.. does it move somewhat or not at all ?

the great gazoo
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, I replaced all 4 brushes, & it does turn by hand, w/ a little resistance, I tried hand turning it while benching it, & it wouldn't spin.

bigredhead
03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm

Go thru that see if it helps any.

the great gazoo
03-04-2006, 06:46 PM
BRH, Thanks for the link, I'll try it. As far as nose cone bearing, well, she's turning fine w/ as much resistance as you would expect w/ new brushes, so I don't think that's an issue but thanks for the sug.

the great gazoo
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, I finally figured out why the starter wasn't grounding- It had be re-painted, & the paint was causing it not to ground onto the motor. She's running great & I also got a price of 200 to split the cases & replace a shift fork. Since that's such a good deal, I'm going to hone the cylinder,replace the rings & replace the valve seals while it's apart. Thanks for all your help,TGG.......