PDA

View Full Version : Brake light?

bluevetteguy
03-01-2006, 11:46 AM
My ancient tri-z isn't supposed to have a brake light is it? My tail light has been out since I got it. I keep the 3 wheeler at my parents house about 30 miles away so I don't really have a lot of time to look it over when these questions pop up in my head. I didn't notice any kind of switches on either of the brake levers that would turn a brake light on and off. If they don't have one, has anyone rigged up something off a newer quad? What did you use? I wouldn't be too concerned but I got rearended by a bruin last weekend. We weren't going very fast so it did no damage but earlier that day I was racing a buddy on his new banshee and I'd be pretty upset if he rearended me at the finish line :lol:

Kintore
03-01-2006, 05:12 PM
No, at least mine doesnt have a brake light. All I got is a light that stays on when I turn the lights on.
And P.S that guy on the bruin should pay some more attention!

85 250sx
03-01-2006, 07:38 PM
i was thinking about rigging one up my self for my 250r, since it already has a 450r front brake mastery cylinder that has the attachment for one. but i wasnt to sure about how to go about doing it.

Yamahauler
03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Maybe try taking the set up off an old sled. My 1980 Yamaha enticer has a brake light. When you pull the lever it just pushes a little button, I dont think it would be to hard to switch over....

90nut
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
There was an article in an old issue of dirtbike magazine that told you how to do it. I am sure a little searching on the web and you could find it. If I remember correctly it wasn't that hard to do if you can run about 6 wires. Have to run a wire to some swithc or somethin by your brake pedal and wire in somethin' in line with the tail light. Well, I'm done. Just getting a headache from thinking so hard:lol: All I know is that I shaved the bracket for the taillight off of every tecate I get. Don't need them and it will weigh less so it must ad 15 hp or so

ric
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but more concentrating on how to have a tail light and a brake light in one. Since you only have a single circuit going in to the stock tail-light, how are you gonna make both work. A guy at an electronics store put me on track, but I cant remember exactly how he explained it since it was a while back, but somebody on this board should be able to give the finer details.
Basically you run multiple LEDs, looks even better when using a clear lens and red LEDs. you can switch the leds from low to high, just like the effect when you put the brake on. I think it was done through a relay and just pumping more volts in when the brake comes on. Must get back on to that one soon. I aready made a clear lens so I just gotta get the circuit figured out.

90nut
03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Oh, mine the article in dirtbike used the STOCK taillight on I think an xr 400. All they did was wire in a couple of thingy-ma-bobs and bam!! A tail light/brake light all in one

Sir Quickly
03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello,
here are some Picīs of the Breaklight (taillight and breaklight in one) on my Tri-Z.
http://www.thole-glas.de/breaklight1
http://www.thole-glas.de/breaklight2
http://www.thole-glas.de/breaklight3
http://www.thole-glas.de/breaklight4

73coupe
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
wiring up a brake light with disc brakes is fairly easy

You'll need to banjo bolt brake switches ($20-25 each)
they make several sizes depending on your need

from the power source you'll need to run a wire to each switch
from the switches run a wire and tie them in together and run it to your brake light
if you want to keep a single element bulb and not swap over housings you'll need a step diode which run about $15 most motorcycle catalogs carry these

to wire the stepdiode has two input wires and one out

samster143
03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Get some thingy-ma-bobs and tell us where you got them....Get the banjo bolt pressure switch from Dennis Kirk or similar. I got one for my street bike and it does work ok, but you have to squeeze kinda hard for the light to come on, I have ss lines. There are a fer different brands available.