PDA

View Full Version : Paint code for 350X tank?

mac2003
02-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey, guys. Had the intererior of my tank redone and the process has caused some paint to flake off on the outside of the tank now. Considering the inside is so nice now I can't let the outside have an opportunity to rust so need to find the proper color of white to use for painting. I've seen threads where the red color was discussed for the frame but haven't seen anything on the tank...or I completely missed it. Anyone have an idea what a close match is to the original white?

Thanks!
Mac
-------------------------------------------
1979 XR80
1986 ATC 350X (original owner!)
2003 Honda VTR1000
2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono

knsmodels
02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Color is Shasta White......OEM code NH138......

patblkwell
02-28-2006, 11:17 AM
The '86 is shasta white but the '85 is another shade...it's more cream colored white...not as bright of a white as the '86 one.

mac2003
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the quick response. Nice to know what I'm looking for!

Thanks!
Mac
-------------------------------------------
1979 XR80
1986 ATC 350X (original owner!)
2003 Honda VTR1000
2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono

ClayW
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Well I might add this. Yes its Shasta white, and yes the 85 was a greyer white. I will tell you this. The original paint code for the color Shasta white and the red for the other bikes is passion red. The BIG problem is this. Those colors take a certain # of base tint colors to make the color. All paints are made from many different pigments being mixed together. These two colors take some very specialized pigments that are only available in the HIGH end paint from PPG and other manufactures. Whats high end you might ask. Well High end PPG runs about $140 a qt for the red and about $100 for the white. You cant get that color in the cheaper paints. PPGS economy line paint OMNI is good paint, but you cant get that color in it. So whats the answer. I did a lot of digging and comparison of colors and what I found is this. If you want the shasta white color go to the paint shop and open up one of their color books. Look under GM vehicles 2002-05. There is a very bright white called Super White that is a dead on match for shasta white. I think its called super white. Its the brightest white GM cars came with such as the Corvette etc... For the Red its the same deal. GM's super red, which is a real bright yet dark read is a dead on match for Hondas Passion Red. Same year model vehicles 02-05. Pat can vouch for me on this. I have done a Big red tank and a 350X tank for him and they look great. Match the plastic perfectly. Oh yeah and the best part is this. A qt of this white runs $30 the Red runs $40. MUCH cheaper. I have seen guys give a sample of the original color for the shop to match, but it never comes out right. GOod luck bro. Oh yeah and thats for a base coat clear coat paint job. If your doing just one tank it will cost less. You could likely buy a pint.

Clay

350Xhilaration
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Has anyone ever compared the Marlboro white of a 97 Acura Integra Type R? My buddy had one in '97 and I remembered it was an offwhite similar to the 350X tank. Anyone with access to a paintchips catalog that could check?

bondoboy
03-02-2006, 06:02 PM
What is the honda code for 1985 lemming white? Thanks.