PDA

View Full Version : 250r front sand tire

Air-cooled-R
02-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Has anyone ever gotten a tire buffed smooth? I'm thinking about doing this so I can have a smooth front tire for sand..... I've only heard of getting this done and never used one. any info?

pismorat
02-28-2006, 01:36 AM
I have seen them with the rib down the middle. I would think you'd atleast want that so you'd have steering and directional control.

3Razors
02-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Just contact skat trac. They have both setups for a smoothie or a mohawk for the atc's

CorbinKale
02-28-2006, 03:06 AM
I see the use for paddles on rear tires, but why would a smooth front tire be better for sand? It seems that a regular tread would be just fine for a sand front tire. More traction = better control, no? I have seen smooth front tires, I just never heard the explanation for them.

Jason Hall
02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
A mohawk would be the best for the everyday dune rider. The only time I think you'd want the smooth buff is on a straight line drag bike.

Dammit!
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
I see the use for paddles on rear tires, but why would a smooth front tire be better for sand? It seems that a regular tread would be just fine for a sand front tire. More traction = better control, no? I have seen smooth front tires, I just never heard the explanation for them.

Less drag.

Just contact skat trac. They have both setups for a smoothie or a mohawk for the atc's

Seriously? Is the mohawk a true trike tire (perfectly straight blade unlike the quad tires)?

3Razors
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
The mohawk tire is just a knobbie tire that has everything shaved off except the center row of knobbies. I think it comes in the size 23.5x8x11. We have one on my bro. tecate and it looks pretty cool. Handles great too.

dunerash
02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I have the front smoothie and it doesnt handle any better or worse then the stocker.. Dammit said less drag and I'll agree with that.. Also keeps your frame/engine and pipe from getting sandblasted as much.

3Razors
02-28-2006, 12:16 PM
True. I also have a front smoothie and it turns just as good in the dunes as a knobby.

willcamach
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
http://recreationtires.com/moreinfo/MH381.html

heres where to buy the tire $55.00 + 15.00 for shipping got mine from here now all i need is a spare front rim:Bounce

AZ250R
02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
If your a "true duner", bowls and lots of twisties not just shot'n drags and hills, than you need some sort of knobs in front. I ran a bald front for 2 years @ the dunes and the turning in tight spots was BAD, as in oops mis'd the turn and over the large drop off I went...:lol:

Anyway, I got the mohawk type front now and it turns GREAT but don't pack up and plow sand like a regular knobie! :w00t:

3Razors
02-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Come on now. I consider myself a true duner and I can ride bowls and twisties with the fastest riders with a smoothie.

Years ago Douglas made a 10 inch wheel for the 250r and 350x that allowed you to use the razorback type tires for the quads. I still have one on my 350X.

Air-cooled-R
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks willcamach for the site and everybody else for all the help and input.

dunerash
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
If your a "true duner", bowls and lots of twisties not just shot'n drags and hills, than you need some sort of knobs in front. I ran a bald front for 2 years @ the dunes and the turning in tight spots was BAD, as in oops mis'd the turn and over the large drop off I went...:lol:

Anyway, I got the mohawk type front now and it turns GREAT but don't pack up and plow sand like a regular knobie! :w00t:
Yeah I guess Im new to this dune thing also.. Thanks for the insight:wondering

CorbinKale
03-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Great discussion! Thanks for all the input from the experinced duners. Seems that the best solution would be the mohawk. That would give better traction on hardpack, not throw so much sand on the trike, will 'float' better on the sand, but have enough cut into the sand that you can steer. It makes sense.

AZ250R
03-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Come on now. I consider myself a true duner and I can ride bowls and twisties with the fastest riders with a smoothie.
Well I guess your just too damn good then, EH!?!?!? And everyone else should be able to just like you? :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess Im new to this dune thing also.. Thanks for the insight
Hey get a CLUE, this guy's asking for ANY info and I know that duning with a smoothe front Ain't as controlable as with some tread. I have a hard time believeing that either of you can turn as sharp and fast in the loose stuff. Plus if all you do is shoot hills and drag then your not a "true duner" IMO!!! :p

3Razors
03-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey bro ease down a little. Who says all I do is shoot hills and drag? Ive been duning for 17 years and I have lots of different bikes. Seeing that you live in peoria we gotta be friends and go riding sometime?

AZ250R
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Who says all I do is shoot hills and drag?
I don't know, I simply stated that IF thats all you do then you aren't a "true duner".;)

Seeing that you live in peoria we gotta be friends and go riding sometime?
I'm head'n back out to Glamis day after tomorrow, you ready to go? I'd for sure like to see your rides, as I only have the one. :( However, after riding with all bikes last time I've been think'n I ought to try one. They seem to be able to do almost everything faster/biger than an ATV/C, just look'd like a bit more work to ride.

Yea, I've been talk'n with quite a few other local ATC riders on this forum for over a year yet never met/rode with any of em... Lets ride!:beer

3Razors
03-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Awesome man! Ill see if I can get friday off. PM me with the details.

dunerash
03-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Well I guess your just too damn good then, EH!?!?!? And everyone else should be able to just like you? :rolleyes:

Hey get a CLUE, this guy's asking for ANY info and I know that duning with a smoothe front Ain't as controlable as with some tread. I have a hard time believeing that either of you can turn as sharp and fast in the loose stuff. Plus if all you do is shoot hills and drag then your not a "true duner" IMO!!! :p
Right on dude.. Whatever.. I thought I gave my opinion also:wondering If you(a TRUE DUNER) can tell the differance then more power to you.. I kneel in your presence:rolleyes: ;)