PDA

View Full Version : ATC 70 problems

adamsj13
02-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi, I have a 83 atc 70, i think its a 83, anyways I can not get it to start. It was running fine then one day it doesn't want to start. Tried to rebuild the carb, and still no go. The pull starter on it is broke so we have to push start it, and we have always been able to real easy. We tried to pull it beind another bike to start it, but all it does is sputters and backfires. There is good spark and the compression seems good. What do you all recommend I do? Thanks for you help

dufrain
02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Did you check the petcok to see if its clean.Is there gas coming from both hoses when they are off the carb.Did you check the airbox to see if the airfilter is coming apart or a mouse has gotten in there.Try a new plug.what color is the plug.Make sure the choke isnt sticking shut even though the handle moves the butterfly may not.

smokinp
02-26-2006, 04:41 PM
I would say start with the basics...what does the plug look like?is it getting spark?is this petcock on and is there fuel coming out??

adamsj13
11-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Did you check the petcok to see if its clean.Is there gas coming from both hoses when they are off the carb.Did you check the airbox to see if the airfilter is coming apart or a mouse has gotten in there.Try a new plug.what color is the plug.Make sure the choke isnt sticking shut even though the handle moves the butterfly may not.

Hi, Sorry its been awhile. I'm finally able to troubleshoot again. The Petcock leaks a little but seems to work ok. I took the air box off since it was braking apart. I have put a air filter on it with out the box. The plug I just pull out was dark and wet. I put a new one in. The choke seems to be fine. The flap opens and closes like it should.

I can get it started but will backfire alot. It seems it has lost a lot of power from what it used to have. It seems to have good compression. Its getting good spark. What should I be looking at? Im not the best mechanic, pretty new at it:-) Thanks in advance for your help

It seems also when I do get it idleing and I give any gas, it dies. I moved the needle up one notch. When I pull the starter cord with the choke on, it will act like it will start. When I turn the choke off or leave on and give gas it seems like it doesnt want to do anything but turn over

Hornetpowerspor
11-13-2006, 11:40 PM
It sounds to me like your points are gapped too close, or maybe burned. Try cleaning them up with some emery cloth and gap them at .016 of an inch. If they are burned too badly, spend 9 bucks and get some new points. Another common problem is a plugged pilot jet in the carb. It dont take much to plug them, just remove it and look through it, if it is plugged, blow some compressed air through it. Hope that helps

adamsj13
11-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I checked the points and they were black. I also noticed the stator wires were loose. I replaced the points and now I get no fire. So I tried to replace the codinser and no fire. So I thought maybe the stator went out and bought a new plate, stator, points and codinser. Installed it today and I still get no fire. I hope I'm just missing something simple. Please help,

KASEY
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
coil? ground wires?

adamsj13
11-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Is there a way to test the coil? I'll double checkt the ground wire

adamsj13
11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Is there a way to test the coil? I'll double checkt the ground wire
The book I have for this bike says to check that the points are opening and closing when turning over the motor. This isn't happening. Any ideas what I should check for? I couldn't fint it in the book anywhere. Thanks

dufrain
11-18-2006, 12:03 AM
You have to check the points through the slot in the flywheel with the starter ring removed.You loosen the screw and use a flat screwdriver between the two small slots to open or close the gap.