PDA

View Full Version : up dated lil x resto

DIGGER DOG
03-09-2003, 12:42 PM
its all coming along well and wont be long now,as soon as wife wakes up ill send a pic of the finished motor(need her h/p photo smart printer to d/l
pic from mem card on camera) i am very happy with the outcome of the motor pics dont do justice though as lighting sux.

DIGGER DOG
03-09-2003, 12:46 PM
i guess i can only post 3 pics at a time

DIGGER DOG
03-09-2003, 01:10 PM
i just couldent wait for the paint to cure,i just had to see what it looked like
it does look better in person.

Thebasher
03-11-2003, 04:39 PM
I am wanting to paint some of my trike frames. What type of paint did you use? Can spray paint, Auto paint? If auto paint what color did you go with Honda red ect. How did you prep your frame? Hand sanding, sandblasting? Did you prime for use a clear coat? Did you run into any problems when you were painting. I know I have asked too many questions but it looks like you did a good job and Id want to duplicate the process.

Thanks,
Chris
Orlando,Fl

Chemical442
03-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Did you mask off the Heat Sink? Or did you go over it once it was painted with a surfacer?

Also, why did you go gloss black rather than flat? Just curious.

ATCRYDER
03-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Lookin Pretty Good.

Flat black looks like trash on everything, Chem. Go Gloss or dont go. ;)

DIGGER DOG
03-11-2003, 07:28 PM
thanks atcryder i also agree i like it shiny shiny .
chemical ,I first took a file to the head fins then mask taped and painted right over and i just prefer things to be shiny also i think a gloss ssurface
cleans off better.
basher (chris) in sunny beutiful o town i used to live there first i sand blasted every thing then a little hand sanding then i used regular old grey auto primer then i lightly sanded then used PJ1 HONDA RED oyu can get it at any bike shop thats where i got mine it comes in 11oz rattle cans (spray paint) 7.50 a can PJ1 has primer, frame, motor,and clear coat paints but it is expensive i did not clear coat it (if any one has any info on whether to clear coat or not plz lemme kno) the only probs i had was almost running out of paint.the paint i used on motor is dupli color engine enamel with ceramic 500 degree gloss black get it at any auto parts store
the exhaust i used rust oleum speacialty hi heat up to 1200 degrees basiclly wood burning stove paint i couldent find any gloss over 500 degrees i also used the hi heat dupli color on pegs and swing arm .whew my digits are tired sorry about the book hope that answers all the ques.

DIGGER DOG
03-11-2003, 07:47 PM
the dupli color 500 degree paint is great stuff (so far dunno how itll hold up after i fire the lil x up and run the crap outta it fer a while) it goes on nice dries in an hour but dont touch it for 3 hours and takes 5 days to cure
when it dries it leaves a glass like finish i tried the chrysler red but it looked orange i painted the kicker with silver but it doesent seem to be as glossy as the black.its about 3.50 a cani actually like the end result better than PJ1