PDA

View Full Version : If you could design your own trike....

Derrick Adams
02-25-2006, 11:27 AM
What would you want?

Let's say this, the design team from your favorite ATV manufacturer has came to you and said "We're designing a new 3 wheeler, how would you like it?"

Here's my entry:

Engine: light weight 450cc four-stroke w/ electric start and reverse. Reverse would be a bolt on, removable unit. Quiet exhaust tone.

Suspension: Minimum of 12" of travel front and rear with progressive style springs or Air ride (similar to Fox Floats) full adjustability of compression, dampening, and ride height. Adjustable width rear axle.

Ergonomics: Adjustable foot peg locations and adjustable Handlebar height. Semi-firm seat design. Easy to reach controls w/ a push button reverse and key switch. Hi/Low dual headlights, high resolution tail light and brake light.

Tires/Rims: More modern tire sizes w/ traditional tread designs. Light weight aluminum rims with bead reinforcement.

Most importantly, it would be a KAWASAKI!

85hondaatc125m
02-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Engine: 500cc light weight engine, with large carb, and high revving pipe

Tranny: Polaris Variable trans with Forward, Neutral and Reverse mounted as a stick connected to the left side of the gas tank.

Suspension: Elka 14" travel suspension

I dont think if I ever designed a ATV/ATC I would put FI or EFI, I understand carberation, but dont have a clue in the world how EFI or such works, but if anyone ever put a dual cyclinder engine on a trike you would have to have dual carbs to and dual exhaust :) Disk brakes all around, chain drive for sure.You would also need a speedo and tach, odometer, ;) cup holder:( Douglas wheels rims with holeshot tires, trailer hitch,brake light,heated seat, heated hand grips, gun rack,optional 3 wheel drive feature,twist or thumb throttle,removable front fairing, if 2 cyclinder, 2 liquid cooled rads, ive put alot of thought into this:w00t:

Billy Golightly
02-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Carbon fiber frame, swingarm, rear axle, tripple clamps, foot pegs, shifters, levers, wheels, everything that could possible be done it, it would. Engine wise...Hmmm I dunno something EFI I guess in the 450-500cc range but very low in weight and high on power. Reverse would be nice, electric start would be too but not necessary. Hydraulic clutch setup, Same front forks as my Z has now with a revised swingarm allowing different linkage for leverage ratios, ect. New age plastic design taking ques from todays dirtbikes and quads both. Would be nice.

Jason Hall
02-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Well I think both you guys have good ideas. If you have fuel injection then I would like to put computer controlled suspension on it. Anti wheelie control, & a depth finder feature to stiffen or loosen the suspension acording to the amount of air you get :lol: :lol: :lol:. That would be cool though especially with those new air adjustable shocks :wondering

Lomax
02-25-2006, 03:03 PM
A Cannondale that is a Trike with the Ohilins suspension system. All of the problems fixed of course.

Six Stroke
02-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Why, nothing other than an '06 Tri-Z! YZ250 engine, trike friendly SSS forks, YFZ-spec rear suspension, no lights, etc. A genuine motocrosser!

BigGreenMachine
02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I want a purely woods trike. KX450F lump built for low/midrange torque and hp. Chromoly frame/aluminum swinger with good ground clearance and thick skidplates. Fat 22x11x10 front tire riding under USD forks to keep "afloat" through the quad ruts. 22 inch HD Holeshots on 8 inch rims rear. Steering stabilizer to get rid of some arm pump. Fox float rear shock and TRX250R style rear carrier/chain adjusters. Z450 style plastic with a 87 Tecate style light.

Sounds good to me. It'd be setup more as a play bike then a racer. Something to tool around on and be ready for the hard rides when your ready to perform.