PDA

View Full Version : Bought a jug of dominator

crackshot
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
So I bought a jug of Amsoil Dominator stuff because the store down the has a whole shelf of it and easier to access than castor in my town.
Question - Running it in my 85 R. Has aftermarket silencer I installed. Pretty much stock engine.
Running stock jets 145 main, 3rd groove clip, 2 - 1/4 turns out on air screw.
Been running the castor at 32:1 (synthetic) and seems to run good. (altitude here is around 4600 ft)

It calls (amsoil) for 50:1 on bottle and do not want to burn down my trike.
That seems a little thin to me but could be wrong.
Should I run it at 32:1 and work with my mix from there or start at 40:1?
Any ideas?

MTS
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
You can mix at 32:1 or 50:1 personally i use it 50:1 in my IT465 airfooler, with properjetting it should not over heat, my bike dose not, and it would be the first thing too!

Dammit!
02-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Stick with 32:1 at first. You don't want to change your brand and ratio at the same time. Synthetics have at least somewhat similar characteristics (in my opinion anyway) so you probably won't need to change your ratio much.

Edit: just remember that using less oil means there's more gas going through there which means jetting changes will be needed (most likely). Figure out what ratio you intend to run and do some plug chops so you can make the proper adjustments.

88 Turbo Coupe
02-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Run a couple of tanks @ 32:1. Check the plug along the way. Go more lean if you feel the need to run faster. Thats what I did. FWIW

crackshot
02-24-2006, 10:01 PM
So does this Amsoil stuff stink or what? I have never smelled it.
The reason I run castor is because it does not give me a headache like petroleum based oils.

crackshot
02-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. 32:1 it is then for a couple tanks and will check plug.
Right now at 32:1 with maxima 927 its a nice tan color, no nasty fouling.

200xcellent
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Dominator smells so so good.....

crackshot
02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Dominator smells so so good.....

What's it smell like?

200xcellent
02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
It really doesnt smell like anything I've smelled before. Its kinda addicting though. I run it with sunoco 94 in my snowmobile and it seems like I always catch my self reving it up and sticking my head down by the pipe. Idk, maybe I'm just weird like that.

crackshot
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok mixed up 5 gallons at 32:1.
Ran it for about 15 minutes, adjusted the carb a little and took it for a couple fast blasts. Total run time 1 hour.
I must say 1st and 2nd gear get you up and going but man, when you get into 3rd, that is where some friggin' power and speed really start to generate.
Hit 4th to drop RPM's and briefly used then went to 5th now getting scary fast then got into 6th to again drop RPM's and see what top end was like.
Dang good thing they put disc brakes on "R"s.

Conclusion - I am sure the amsoil made engine rev up to RPM quicker because before running with the castor, I could not get the RPM's up to get it into 6th gear. Same conditions, same test strip in field.
Now 32:1 is a rich mixture because it's not terribly smoky, but could be leaned out. The castor did not have that much smoke coming out the pipe, just a little.
With the amsoil I have some oil on tip of silencer but not dripping out.
I think after i run this tank out, I am going to run a 40:1 mix and see what happens with that, possibly working way to 50:1.
I must admit I was skeptical using this brand and all the claims but after running castor for years, but I am sold on this brand.
I just could not believe you can run this stuff at 50:1 and with all the money I put into repairs on my trike, I did not feel like rebuilding a top end either.
Now I just need to get ratio correct and I will probably use it from now on.

88 Turbo Coupe
02-26-2006, 07:33 AM
I've used this stuff for a couple of years now. When i rebuilt one of my engines I couldn't believe what I saw. I run 100:1 (and its scary fast). All my internal engine parts have a blue/green film on them. No apparent wear. Anyone else look into there engine and find similar results with their engine oil? I've done a search on this board and couldn't find anything.

crackshot
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I've used this stuff for a couple of years now. When i rebuilt one of my engines I couldn't believe what I saw. I run 100:1 (and its scary fast). All my internal engine parts have a blue/green film on them. No apparent wear. Anyone else look into there engine and find similar results with their engine oil? I've done a search on this board and couldn't find anything.

Wow 100:1. That's impressive. Whats your jetting like or is it set up stock?

smackkk
02-26-2006, 10:05 AM
sounds like if she wouldn't pull 6th gear you may have other issues..?...Maybe low on compresion..?

TRI Z Racer
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I run amsoil at 50:1 like it calls for in my snowmobile and i run it at 50:1 in my 3 wheeler. I tried running 40:1 on my snowmobile, but it was loading up at idle. Definately ran alot better at 50:1. I would mix up that amsoil at 50:1 and then put a new plug in it and then do a plug run. if its lean adjust your jetting. I doubt it would be though unless your on the scary edge currently. Also amsoil smells like burnt plastic.