PDA

View Full Version : Strange electrical problem..............

the great gazoo
02-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to get the electric start to work on my 250SX- Yesterday I removed the starter & bench tested it, it was working. I get it back in and no go. it seems to be grounded all around- battery&starter both, & the relay's clicking like it's working, so I jumped from the positive relay to the positive starter terminal, nothing. Then from the pos. battery to the pos. starter, nothing. With a meter, it's showing current from the relay to the starter & the battery to the relay. I'm thinking some how the starter isn't grounding? But how could that Be? It's bolted to the motor, which is grounded to the frame. I'm stumped!

bigredhead
02-24-2006, 04:49 PM
When you bench tested.. did you use the battery from the trike ? or another battery ?

the great gazoo
02-24-2006, 05:32 PM
That's a good Q- I used a battery charger on 4amps, the battery on the trike is brand spankin', I used the charger cuz it had clips.

Howdy
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Sounds like the brushes or the springs that hold them in place are bad. I would remove the starter. Take it apart, clean, and inspect it.
Howdy

bigredhead
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I think your brand spankin new battery may need a charge !

You have a volt meter.. measure DC volts.. 12.5 and up would be ok.. 13v would be great.. any less than 12.4 ish and it needs charged.

bigredhead
02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
The battery you put in.. was it the type you pour in the acid yourself .. or was it a sealed battery already filled ?

the great gazoo
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
The Battery is the add it yourself type, & the meter I was using showed 12.3v- It's like I've got a ground problem somewhere, when I touch the jumper to the pos. starter terminal, it won't even spark(other end can be on thr pos. relay or batt side, it does the same thing)- I quick touch it to a frame bolt & it sparks, so that's telling me it's not grounded? I guess Monday when I get back to work(That's where the trike is) I'll pull it out again & bench it w/ the battery & see what's up, then I'll disassemble it & clean it up- What am I looking for once I get it apart?

Howdy
02-25-2006, 10:29 AM
The Battery is the add it yourself type, & the meter I was using showed 12.3v- It's like I've got a ground problem somewhere, when I touch the jumper to the pos. starter terminal, it won't even spark(other end can be on thr pos. relay or batt side, it does the same thing)- I quick touch it to a frame bolt & it sparks, so that's telling me it's not grounded? I guess Monday when I get back to work(That's where the trike is) I'll pull it out again & bench it w/ the battery & see what's up, then I'll disassemble it & clean it up- What am I looking for once I get it apart?

Look for short brushes, disconnected wires, shorted connections, ect. If possible take it apart and get pictures of the brushes. My bet is that they are bad.
Howdy

bigredhead
02-25-2006, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=the great gazoo]The Battery is the add it yourself type, & the meter I was using showed 12.3v- QUOTE]

12.3 is LOW..... put that sucker on a charger..

Try pushing the starter button and give it a light kick with the kickstarter and see if it gives you a turn or 2..

If it turned over when you bench tested it, the brushes should be good enough to work ( However.. howdy is right in terms of it being a good idea to replace them regardless.. they have to be worn with 20 years use )

chris200x
02-25-2006, 10:55 AM
here's a pic of the inside of a starter. this is off a grizzly but they all should be pretty much the same.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/HERE20WE20GO20AGAIN20022.jpg

the brushes are what rub on the inside wheel and make all that black dust.

the great gazoo
02-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I'll post on Monday & let you know what transpires,TGG.........

Jason Hall
02-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Is there a good ground connection between the battery and the frame?

Unclediezel
02-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Grab the Jumper cables out of POP's car---(-) battery jump to starter case--see if it makes a difference---If it doesnt it isnt a ground problem

the great gazoo
02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the Sug, Unclediezel, If my pop were alive, I'd borrow his cables(Jeez, do I seem THAT young on text?). I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Unclediezel
02-26-2006, 08:59 PM
No disrespect intended ---so I apologize if I stepped on toes........

Secondly ---If you actually remember "The Great Gazoo"--You are too old and Feeble to get the trunk open........:lol: :lol: :lol:

the great gazoo
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Sometimes I think I'm too old to be tearing it up every wekend(I'm 43, w/ no kids), but I love trail riding! got my 1st quad 2 yrs ago, then another, & now I'm obsessing over trikes, next will be an R or a 350x. ANYWAY- I got the starter back off, & benched it again, NOTHING. Last time it spun, so I figured it was something else. This time it wouldn't spin, so I took it apart. 2 of the 4 brushes are gone, so I'm ordering a kit. Thanks for everyone's help, the Great Geezer, I mean Gazoo............