PDA

View Full Version : follow along TIGER restoration-check 4 updates!

Trikeaholic
03-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I got my frame back and am starting to assemble my Tiger. I had the frame sand blasted, epoxy primer and paint with a coat or 2 of clear. Im not super happy how it came out, but oh well. Since the frame is made of tubular chromoly, the grab bar had hollow holes, so I put some 1/2 inch knock out seals in the ends, I think it looks good. I fastened the grab bar with 5/16 stainless bolts, the rest Im going to use Grade 5 zinc plated stuff, like original. I have a parts motor, and a bunch of other misc stuff from a guy in MA, a reprint of the Tiger ATV parts list, and I think Im off to a pretty good start.---see, its not impossible to restore a Tiger!

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2003, 07:58 PM
I think that someone who goes through this much trouble to restore a Tiger has trikes in his blood, congrats!!! Can't wait to se it done.

What were you unhappy about paintwise??

Mobular
03-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Lookin' good Trike! Keep it up, man!

Honda300ex
03-08-2003, 09:36 PM
nice, Do i see a mustang? If so can you say bondo?? My mustang has none its all origanal my dad is the origanal owner too :-D Its a 76 Cobra 2 that we are restoring i will scan a bunch of pics of it and get a image station gallery just for that

ATCRYDER
03-08-2003, 10:41 PM
bah! a Teaser!...More. :D

Dynofox
03-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Lookin good holic, you still planning on having it ready to go for trikefest??

skippy
03-09-2003, 09:42 AM
nice job matt... take good notes,, who knows who might find another one and need help! :)

Trikeaholic
03-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Here are the aluminium hand made triple clams in a gold anodize. I got the tapered bearings at the local NAPA. A hook spanner wrench is a must have for removal and installation. The "rubbers" on a Tiger is nothing more than self adhesive automotive-marine foam rubber wheather stripping, and here I have replaced it in the factory locations, 2 strips under the tank, and one in front of the seat. its 3/4 inch wide stuff, got it at the local hardware store. stay tuned...

Trikeaholic
03-09-2003, 04:03 PM
I also sanded and painted the pipe. it has the name "JEMCO" stamped all around one of the sections in the expansion chamber. I guess thats the shop that made thier pipes. Another mystery solved.

ATCRYDER
03-09-2003, 04:06 PM
thats gonna be an insanely good lookin machine, Holic.

Hey--whatcha think those two bolt were for above the handelbar clamps? Whas that tether switch mounting or something?

Trikeaholic
03-15-2003, 07:46 PM
installing the motor tomorrow, will update pics! Im not going to rebuild it yet. it seems to run fine. I would at least do the top end, but I dont want to spend the bucks yet, and Im kinda on a timeline.

Dynofox
03-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Looks great matt! :-D

Trikeaholic
03-16-2003, 02:57 PM
here is the engine installed in the frame. I degreased the block and it was really decent underneath. The rotax has a part that is an intake of sorts, and molded to that is the rubber part that the carb hooks to. It was severley dry rotted, and someone cut it off, but used a piece of radiator hose, clamped very well and it seems to work. unfortunatley, you must buy the whole part to replace the rubber boot! Mabey later. The clutch cable also came out, you gotta take off the side cover to get it back in! ARGGGGHHHH. well, heres the pics as of today.....

Trikeaholic
03-16-2003, 02:59 PM
other side

Honda300ex
03-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Looks good!!!!! Wish my project was here :rolleyes:

Trikeaholic
03-16-2003, 07:36 PM
ok, you DONT have to take the side cover off for the clutch cable. There is a sight window near the water pump that you fish around till you see the cable end, and then hook it. See how the swingarm bolt is thru the rear of the motor? That is a double ended stud, 5/8-18 X 10. It was all buggered up bad. I got a new one from Northern Tool and Equipment, it was listed under "go kart axle" same exact thing! Im using nylon washers under most all the fasteners, to keep from scratching up the paint.

jeswinehart
03-16-2003, 08:22 PM
i am enjoying following your progress on this project alot.

looks like you have a great area to work in also,,, wished i had a bigger garage to do things in.

john

Trikeaholic
03-22-2003, 08:40 PM
well, I did not reciece my carb adapter from Tony Murphy Rotax parts, probly monday. I did install the forks, ignition, and foot pegs, painted the radiator, the front hub, etc. I will post some pics tomorrow, or possibly tonite. I think this Tiger would make a great duner, too bad all we have around here is ice! and thats FLAT!

Trikeaholic
03-22-2003, 09:02 PM
ok, I went out and took a pic. Here you can see the Marzocci forks, I repainted them white, like original. You can also see the tether kill switch or "petty" switch. Believe it or not, the factory lanyard is made of old fashioned coiled phone cord! you younger guys may not remember telephones with cords, but I do, and thats what the racers would hook to themselves. Also, on the petty switch is one of those keychains that pops off the other ring, like the one I use in my camper. Its kinda funny, and also kind of industrious of them. On the left side of the frame, you can see the radiator mount, and in the background, you can see the shock, radiator, and front wheel hub under the table.

J.D.
03-22-2003, 09:15 PM
that looks so sweet dood. I'm envious!!!

Dynofox
03-22-2003, 10:15 PM
That thing is coming along very nicely, looks great!

hrc200x
04-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Nice work Trikeaholic. that thing looks great. I did some searching around about the exhaust (Jemco) and here is what I found. Hopfully its new info.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/Jemco.html I wonder if thats the place that made pipes for Tigers? It gives a phone number so it might be worth a call.

Trikeaholic
04-12-2003, 05:59 PM
here is more. This is as far as I've gotten. Painted the radiator, plumbed it up, istalled the Richter privateer silencer, the axle, a new rear sprocket (same as an 85 Tecate pattern) and the front and rear brakes. Mabey Tecate rotors will fit too, it looks the same as the sprocket pattern.

Tecate250
04-12-2003, 08:58 PM
I was wondering if you could take some pics of how the rad works
Its huge and there is only 1. I was thinking of making a bike with a rad like that.

ATCRYDER
04-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Youre killin me here, Holic!!!! My 250R Frames getting sandblasted right now and all my parts are finished.........I WANNA TOOL AROUND IN THE GARAGE!!! arrrrgh.

Honda300ex
04-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Wish my project was here.... Dang mudfreak!!!! :evil: