PDA

View Full Version : Ready to rip! (Beware dial up!)

crackshot
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Well as many of you knew I bought an "R" for 700 bucks.
Since a few weeks ago I have oredered many parts and saved it from being a ugly duckling to a racer it should be known for!
Nothing money can't fix they say and is true!
Here is before after picking it up and rolling it off trailer.
(barely rolling because rear bearing carrier was toast!)
Before.......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/zamphir/250R.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/zamphir/250r2.jpg

And after......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/zamphir/250Rafter.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/zamphir/250Rafter2.jpg

Runs great and is pretty quick thus I named her "The Bat Otta Hell" .
Wife calls it "The Widowmaker" :lol: after she saw me rip it down the farm field!
Waiting on new silencer that should be in Thursday and will be complete.
Now I have to fix the broken recoil cord on my wifes ride and buy new front tires for my kids trikes! :eek:

BigGreenMachine
02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
That looks bloody great! Did you buy new fenders or use plastic renew like I think you did on the tank? Going to sound great with the new silencer as well.

Bryan Raffa
02-21-2006, 07:46 PM
thats a nice turn around on that R it looks like it should!!!!!! good job.

crackshot
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
That looks bloody great! Did you buy new fenders or use plastic renew like I think you did on the tank? Going to sound great with the new silencer as well.

Thanks but a lot of the questions and help came from this board so I would like to thank all that replied get this trike ressurected!
I bought new rear and front fender. The front had a small crack in it and is still usable.
I figured what the heck and might as well get a new one.
Ordered a e-brake block off also and threw it on order from Dennis Kirk. (Great company BTW)
Ordered seat rubber frame blocks from Bike Bandit also.
(Another great company)
It was a trip. All the parts came in all at the same time on my day off! :lol:
Tires came in yesterday and had them mounted last night.
Those bubba tires that were on it were 3 inches too tall and 2 inches too wide!
The silencer I bought is a Cobra I won off E-Bay and was like 75.00 shipped New for 85 or 86. Never seen a Cobra one before but will see if its any good!
That should finish me for a while. (Although I am still eyeballing aftermarket goodies!) It has plenty of power for the riding I do.
My kids and I rode yesterday for a cruise around the fields in the snow and man the looks we got from the highway, people were actually slowing down to take a look at the battery of trikes!
My wife would have taken a ride too but I broke the rip cord on her trike! :(

toyota200x
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Man that thing is bright. Very nice job saving it. Some lower handlebars would look great.

thefox
02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
You did a great job and fast too. What a difference!

nouseforaname90
02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
What did you do to the tank?
And what does the e-brake block off do? I can't find a e-brake/parking brake cable and so I was told to save my money and just buy a block-off for it because I wouldn't use the e-brake/parking brake anyway. Why do you need a block-off and whats it do? To my knowledge.. the e/parking brake is just a cable, right???

And also.. great job. How much did that cost you total, if you don't mind me asking?

SpeedBump
02-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Isn't that a 86 seat? Good looking R ya got there. Nice resto. Another one saved! :w00t:

yamahaman89
02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
you gave that R a new life,Good job

crackshot
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
What did you do to the tank?
And what does the e-brake block off do? I can't find a e-brake/parking brake cable and so I was told to save my money and just buy a block-off for it because I wouldn't use the e-brake/parking brake anyway. Why do you need a block-off and whats it do? To my knowledge.. the e/parking brake is just a cable, right???

And also.. great job. How much did that cost you total, if you don't mind me asking?

I painted tank with 4 coats Krylon fusion paint. Sand, paint sand,paint.
I did get a couple drops of gas on it filling but wiped it right off and did not eat paint. I let paint cure 7 days just like I did with 1500 degree ceramic exhaust paint.
E-brake block off is just a cover after you take out the two bolts and remove stock e-brake assembly.
Cost? Lets see......

Front rear fender and ebrake block off - 198.00
Clutch cable, handle and perch - 25.00
RAD billet bearing carrier - 147.00
Rubber frame fender pad - 13.00
Kill switch head light switch combo - 25.00
ITP 6 ply Mud Lite / trail tires - 130.50 (tires and mounting)
Cobra silencer - 76.00
Scott grips -11.00
Can of 1500 degree heat paint - 7.00
Can of Fusion paint - 6.00
Replacement nuts and bolts -5.00

Total parts- 643.50
Trike - 700.00

1343.50 (give or take, rounded to nearest buck)

My budget was 600.00 for parts and would have made it but fender put me over the limit a little.
I also have an extra set of dune paddle tire and ITP 8 inch rims the guy threw in with the trike when I bought it.

crackshot
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Isn't that a 86 seat? Good looking R ya got there. Nice resto. Another one saved! :w00t:

Yeah. Its an 86 seat. I figured I will leave it until I recover someday.

nouseforaname90
02-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Mmm.. I'm not sure if that paint is going to stay on the tank. Actually I hightly doubt it will. Decals and stuff usually start bubbling off (if it is plastic) within a week or so.. so I don't expect that paint to last too long on there.. I may be mistaken though.

crackshot
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Mmm.. I'm not sure if that paint is going to stay on the tank. Actually I hightly doubt it will. Decals and stuff usually start bubbling off (if it is plastic) within a week or so.. so I don't expect that paint to last too long on there.. I may be mistaken though.

Thats ok. I have a half can left! :lol:
I am not putting any decals on the tank. If I do, it will be on the radiator shrouds and those are not painted.

nouseforaname90
02-21-2006, 10:25 PM
It doesn't matter on the radiator shrouds. But on the gas tank, nothing can adhere to it. The gas/fumes come out through the pores in the plastic and make anything that is on it (paint.. decals.. etc..) bubble off. It makes it look real bad..

crackshot
02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
It doesn't matter on the radiator shrouds. But on the gas tank, nothing can adhere to it. The gas/fumes come out through the pores in the plastic and make anything that is on it (paint.. decals.. etc..) bubble off. It makes it look real bad..

Then it will be new tank time if it happens. Nothing cash wont fix!

cragster
02-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Then it will be new tank time if it happens. Nothing cash wont fix!

Ive got a tank. It was faded but i wet sanded it and it all cane off. But it isnt finished. and it needs polished.
So you may be able to fix your tank if it bubbles

crackshot
02-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Thats pretty good lookin. Yeah, I am on a time frame here and maybe when it does, I will do it next fall.