PDA

View Full Version : are the cool heads worth the money

3leggeddog
02-20-2006, 08:48 PM
so i need a head for my r.i am wondering if the pro design cool heads are worth the money?what are the benifits,and if you have one,have you had any troubles with it?do they warp easy?

Hornetpowerspor
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I have one, and the nicest thing about them is that they have o rings that seal better than gaskets and are re usable. The other nice thing about them that is nice is to be able to interchange the domes for different applications.

3leggeddog
02-21-2006, 06:46 PM
so was it worth 100 bux?or a big over envestment?

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
i have one on my shee, also you can change the inner domes for more or less compression

CHAINSAW
02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I had one on my R, and didnt see any changes at all.. operating temperature or performance at all. It was a waste of money in my opinion. However, I have one on my banshee, and they need them if your duning. I do see a difference with it, over a stock banshee head. But for the R, my own personal experience it was a waste of money... even though I got it for $75 or something. And having the O rings isnt the coolest thing about coolheads... because thats not something every part store has where ever you ride. You always have to keep a few in the tool box just incase.

BigGreenMachine
02-21-2006, 07:19 PM
The o-ring instead of a gasket would make the cost worthwhile to me.

3leggeddog
02-21-2006, 08:11 PM
well i am trying to get one.i have never had one,so if it's cheap,i'll try it.what cc dome should i be looking for,or buy later?

mudbogger
02-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Theres a guy Hoser who posts here sometimes, PM him, he has extensive tech on that cool head design, he runs them on his FL400R for many years-he has all the cc info for you as well, hope this helps you.

SpeedBump
02-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I run one on my T4. Not sure bout the Honda, but I got some good results with mine. (Like Neil said, I also saw no improvement in cooling, but never really had trouble running hot before so can't really tell) I needed more compression, and the only option for me was the coolhead. I had already cut my stocker, and only had a bit more to go before I got in trouble with my squish. B, you are gonna be doing MX and if I remember correctly, your R has a topend port on it. You could stand to bump your compression up, so I would suggest going with a small dome. Not sure what actual cc size you would need, but I think the smaller the better. (For your application, anyway)

The O ring is a plus too, and the other bonus....THEY LOOK WAY KEWL!!!!!

2strokes4life
02-22-2006, 12:22 AM
only advantage on an R is the option to increase compression by changing domes. but who the hell wants to spend $10/gallon for race fuel unless you race?

Bryan Raffa
02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
10$ a gallon wow!! I spend 5$ a gal IN NY never the less!!! thats cam2 112ot i hope your jokeing there!

BigGreenMachine
02-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Its not like you can't get domes that raise compression while still letting you run pump gas.

dunerash
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
There are some other options besides the PD coolhead.. Not flaming anyone that has one but I hear there are some better choices out there. Heres an example.

http://www.2strokeheads.com/Custom-Yamaha-Suzuki-and-Honda-ATV-Performance-Heads.html

Wickedfinger
02-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I had a Hotseat cool head with a 12:1 dome on my Scrammy and ended up taking it off - while it was good for drag purposes, it made the powerband way too jumpy for the usually deep woods type of riding I do. I tried several different spring combinations for the clutch and nothing made it any tamer.