PDA

View Full Version : Field expedient headlight grill

CorbinKale
02-20-2006, 04:32 PM
The only headlight grills I could find were NOS Hondaline. Not what I would want to squander on my old workhorse daily rider. So I got four plastic-coated wire hangers and fashioned my own. It doesn't look that bad, I think. It took me 20 minutes with some wire cutters and patience. I used a weave pattern so the wires wouldn't shift around. With some heavy zip-ties providing outward pressure on the grill, it is suroprisingly solid! Hopefully, it will save my glass from flying rocks.

I would like to post the pics from my ftp site, but my url has the lower case letter 'you' in it, and this site changes that to *edited*. Another example of clamping down on freedom of speech costing you more than it gained you.

If you care to see the pics, replace *edited* with the letter 'you'.

ftp://*Edited*36624900-corbin:testtest@s106046745.onlinehome.us/ATC%20pics/grill/AUT_0707.JPG

ftp://*Edited*36624900-corbin:testtest@s106046745.onlinehome.us/ATC%20pics/grill/AUT_0709.JPG

ftp://*Edited*36624900-corbin:testtest@s106046745.onlinehome.us/ATC%20pics/grill/AUT_0710.JPG

BigGreenMachine
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I used an old shopping cart to make a grill for the front of my Kodiak. I've had huge rocks hit it, I've run through fallen trees and came out with sticks stuck in it but its never broken or let anything hurt the headlights. Dirt cheap, maybe you could tack weld it to your headlight guard. Can't see your pics by the way so I'm guessing you have a headlight guard.

CorbinKale
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Shopping cart is a good idea. The idea behind mine was to make it out of stuff I had at home, without welding. It will do the job, but can be taken off in 10 seconds without messing up my guard. I know you can't see my pics. You, obviously, can't see my text, either! :lol:

I tried to link them as image files, but this site has a problem with a certain letter in the alphabet. The url's are correct, except for *Edited*, so copy/paste one into your address field. Replace *Edited* with the lower case letter 'you' and hit enter.

BigGreenMachine
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Gotcha, looks good. Funny how that *you* screwed the links up. I zip tied the cart guard to the Kodiak as well and it has been there 3 years at least.

No access to a welder or don't want to ruin a good guard?

CorbinKale
02-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks. I used the white plastic coated hangers to go with the white fenders that will be on it soon. I don't have a welder, but the idea was to be able to remove it, so I can pull the lights out without having to take the whole guard off, plus it does no damage to the guard.