PDA

View Full Version : Project YZ Tri-Z will be getting started soon

Billy Golightly
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/45/f3/71_1.JPG

I finally found a motor after looking a long time. This is an early 90s, I'm thinking 92 or so. I paid $130 for it not including shipping. Its gonna need a cylinder replating or replacement. Gonna need a new carb, probably most of the electrical, shifter, kicker, ect too. After the hearing for the track this week I should have a little bit more freetime then I have the past 2 months heh. Get started on working that thing into place. I'll probably have internal stuff done to it too.

Should look and run good in the Z.

smokinp
02-20-2006, 12:35 AM
nice find...are you leaving it mild or,,,?

Billy Golightly
02-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Since the cylinder has to be worked on I'll probably get it MX ported and the head redomed. Not planning on any crank work unless the cases have to come apart. We'll see. I've been looking forward to doing this for a while though.

MTS
02-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Looks Good billy! im sendin mine off to get ported soon here.....will have to match em up at TF 07!

Billy Golightly
02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Hahaha sounds like a plan. I was beginning to think about just really modding the Z motor and using it, but I decided to keep with my overall theme of updating all the componets on it and I decided to go ahead and make the jump to the YZ motor setup. We'll see how difficult it'll be when it gets here and what kind of hoops I'm gonna have to jump through.

Derrick Adams
04-07-2007, 07:58 PM
TTT..... This die?

Bryan Raffa
04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
TTT..... This die?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOLY Smokes I thought this was a new post..and he actually had touched it...or moved it from under the scrap steel pile :lol: :lol:

I found one too

Billy Golightly
04-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The engine I got was a total turd and the frame work necessary to make it fit was not worth it IMO. The powervalve assembly broke apart, part of it fell back into the cylinder and wedged itself inbetween the top of the exhuast port and the piston, made a huge gouge like a 1/4inch deep in the sleeve and all the way down into the aluminum casting. I have the engine sitting in my race trailer right now....the other thing I found is that the kickstarter shaft (and the engine itself) were way to narrow to use in the Z frame unless you mounted it offset (like an 85-86 250R is setup)

Derrick Adams
04-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I was kind of hoping you were sitting on this project and not telling anyone. I want to see how one of the newer YZ motors runs in that Z. Kicker extension is no sweat. This is what the guys are using for the YZF motors in the R chassis.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/kickerextension.jpg

Billy Golightly
04-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I wish I had found a better motor and spent some more time on it. I'm not even sure if I''m gonna bring the Z to TF this year actually.