PDA

View Full Version : the ATZ500 - Tri Z / CR500 Drag bike

CHAINSAW
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Got a few more things before Im happy with it. Just got to get the front rim here, and paint the rears. Then get a hood, and get a brake line on its way. With this bike, I wanted the flat black, mean looking machine. My other Drag Z is nothing but chrome, polished parts, and bling, this one I want the exact opposite. I wanted every piece of it to look like a weapon, or like it would hurt you. There is a nice circle and triangle theme running through the entire bike that I think makes it flow really nice.
Some of the specs, 1985 Tri Z frame, front end, and swinger (extended +12) rigid rear end. 1985 CR500 engine with ESR CR ignition kit. Its been ported and polished, to what extent I dont know. Plans are for this coming winter, send the motor off and get it full blown drag ported, with matching carb, pipe, head job, 2-5 override, and so on.
The conversion to very little time, infact this bike has been finished for over a month now, I was just waiting on other parts to swap out that I stole from my other Z. The motor was almost a direct drop in, and takes no major frame mods. To fit the motor in the frame, and have it welded up, and almost ready to ride took me 5 hours. The Honda frame conversions all take a lot longer from what Ive read, inface weeks or months. I wont go into great detail about the conversion, unless someone is very serious about making one also. As far as I know, this is the first CR500/ Tri Z Hybrid done. If Im wrong, please correct me, and have proof.

Here is the damage..
First one is a pic I had fun with in photoshop
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz2shoped.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz1.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz2.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz3.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz4.jpg

Kintore
02-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I feel like I just got shot. That is truly the best dragster Tri-Z I have ever seen. That is one wicked thing you got there!

Post some pics of your ripping it up!

firefirefire90
02-19-2006, 07:37 PM
DAMN!! Thats hott. How many ponies you think she's puttin out? You should put both of your Z-s side by side. Lastly, in a race, which you think would win?
Good on ya mate. Loookin good!

LonesomeTriZ
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Damn... just simply, damn...

Bryan Raffa
02-19-2006, 07:54 PM
thats truly wicked looks like something from MADMAX!!!!! I like the flat black

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-19-2006, 07:59 PM
i like it, not too sure on the honda heart though?:confused: still its sweet!!!!!!:Bounce

Tri-ZNate
02-19-2006, 08:01 PM
someone has been having a little too much fun in the workshop, and it came out GREAT!!!! :beer That is some Hot stuff!

thefox
02-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm not too into the mix and match brands thing but hey, do what ya have to. Will the paint on the fort tubes cause problems?

CHAINSAW
02-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm not too into the mix and match brands thing but hey, do what ya have to. Will the paint on the fort tubes cause problems?

the only problems I see,.. is scuffing the paint off. hehe. If its a big problem, Ill throw some covers on there, and paint them black.

Unsure of HP right now, I am wanting to get it to the dyno here soon, but time will tell. And Im sure Ill have pics and videos up after the MWT ride in March.

Billy Golightly
02-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I shoulda ratted you out on that when I had the chance...either way it turned out pretty nice.

Darius1502
02-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Wow thats darn freaky.

I know that '85 mill is a monster. Wow...Chainsaw you have outdone yourself...

incredible!!

What happened to that other drag Z...the yellow one?

Air-cooled-R
02-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I bet that things gonna scream on a drag strip.............. I'm really likin the flat black. What kind and size is that tire? Where can I get one?????

CHAINSAW
02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow thats darn freaky.

I know that '85 mill is a monster. Wow...Chainsaw you have outdone yourself...

incredible!!

What happened to that other drag Z...the yellow one?

Its waiting for its tires and rims back. These on this one are temporary. It'll be back together sometime here soon, the wife wants to learn how to drag race, and its a nice bike for her to learn on.

MTS
02-20-2006, 12:12 AM
So you just had to make new motor mounts and a new spacer for the rear mount i take it? You got me thinking now....haha

cr500=3wheeler
02-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Looks nice, real nice but where do you put the Gas!

CHAINSAW
02-20-2006, 12:53 AM
in the gas tank silly.... lol Look close.. its there.

Rm250RF900R
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
You can see the vent hose coming out near the handle bars like anyother quad, trike, or bike. But usually, the tank is under the seat. Kinda like my old lt185 quadrunner.

CHAINSAW
02-20-2006, 05:55 AM
its just your basic relocated aluminum tank under where the airbox is on a stock Tri Z. Here is a pic of the one my other drag bike, this one is exactly the same.

trikerider2oo7
02-20-2006, 08:56 AM
wow! you did a great job on gettin it built. looks great!

smokinp
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
amazing! I cant wait for the video!

IrvSLedman
02-20-2006, 12:38 PM
that Z is the most beautifull thing. EVER!! great job man.

Ryan

scooterroo
02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
that thing looks like it should be sitting on the deck of a naval aircraft carrier ready for launch. damn that thing is saaaawwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt.

CHAINSAW
02-20-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks for the compliments everyone. Im still gonna do some little cosmetic stuff to it, to really make it look evil.

crackshot
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Now you might want to look into extending the exhaust pipe.
The flames are getting awfully close to that tire!:lol:

03 ORANGE SHEE
02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
in the fuel tank above the engine! you can see alumium shining through!

MTS
02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
So dose the stock Z tank not Fit under the seat with the cr500 motor? or was that just taken out for Dragin...?

CHAINSAW
02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
So dose the stock Z tank not Fit under the seat with the cr500 motor? or was that just taken out for Dragin...?
the thought of the stock tank never even crossed my mind, because this was 100% dragger from the get go. But.. there is room for the stocker to still fit Im pretty sure. I dont have any, or Id hold one up to see for sure (I cut all... and I mean ALL tabs off that were not being used, so I cant give a 100% either way) Infact a stock Z style airbox setup would work better, because the carb sits down below the back crossmember, and a straight back intake like I did was kinda hard to pull off without bending my intake boot outta shape.

To be honest with everyone... this motor, in this frame, is not something you would want to ride for very long. It vibrates so bad, the only thing it would be good for is 300 feet passes, then let feeling comes back to your hands. Now I cant say for the Honda framed guys, but with my own personal experience, this thing is a vibrating monster. Im going to try those fasst company vibration inserts, to see if that helps. Also this next winter when I tear it back down, Im thinking of how to rubber mount the motor.

Bryan Raffa
02-22-2006, 12:43 AM
we did that last year at the shop with a cr 500 motor in a 250R lobo frame weended up rubber mounting the motor and using the bottom mounts from a banshee by shorting them up.still shook like a mother so we drilled holes in the frame and nerf bars and filled it with rubber plastic dip and coated the kickstarter.break pedal and other stuff that shook violently helped ALOT just make shure every mount for the motor is rubber . ended up snaping all the mounts off a double jump so we tore it down and ebayed the motor, should work good for draging like you said only 300 feet.

MTS
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
i know on my IT465 dirtbike the Bar risers are rubber mounted...wonder if you could Make them work for the Z? would kill alot of the vibration i would think.

BigGreenMachine
02-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah rubber mount the bar clamps and possibly the footpegs (trying to think of how) and that should dull the vibes.

CHAINSAW
02-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah rubber mount the bar clamps and possibly the footpegs (trying to think of how) and that should dull the vibes.

The Tri Z handlebar risers are rubber mounted (not much, but they are) My footpegs are not stock ones, but solid welded pegs. The seat is rubber mounted as well, and it vibrates so much, every woman on the dunes is gonna wanna ride it once they find out... hehehee.

Billy Golightly
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Ride it some more and I think you'll get use to it. After you've been on it an hour or so you get use to everything shaking so bad your vision is blurred. I know when I first started riding mine when it was still a bike, 10 minutes tops and my arms were rubber. It doesnt bother me near as much now. I like to think of it as a clear sign the motor has plenty of balls :)

Mike_Ham_250R
02-22-2006, 05:46 PM
I feel like I just got shot. That is truly the best dragster Tri-Z I have ever seen. That is one wicked thing you got there!

Post some pics of your ripping it up!

Thats because it has some honda in it..

Mosh
02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
big bore banshee killer.looks sick.very stealthy

Yamada
06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Got a few more things before Im happy with it. Just got to get the front rim here, and paint the rears. Then get a hood, and get a brake line on its way. With this bike, I wanted the flat black, mean looking machine. My other Drag Z is nothing but chrome, polished parts, and bling, this one I want the exact opposite. I wanted every piece of it to look like a weapon, or like it would hurt you. There is a nice circle and triangle theme running through the entire bike that I think makes it flow really nice.
Some of the specs, 1985 Tri Z frame, front end, and swinger (extended +12) rigid rear end. 1985 CR500 engine with ESR CR ignition kit. Its been ported and polished, to what extent I dont know. Plans are for this coming winter, send the motor off and get it full blown drag ported, with matching carb, pipe, head job, 2-5 override, and so on.
The conversion to very little time, infact this bike has been finished for over a month now, I was just waiting on other parts to swap out that I stole from my other Z. The motor was almost a direct drop in, and takes no major frame mods. To fit the motor in the frame, and have it welded up, and almost ready to ride took me 5 hours. The Honda frame conversions all take a lot longer from what Ive read, inface weeks or months. I wont go into great detail about the conversion, unless someone is very serious about making one also. As far as I know, this is the first CR500/ Tri Z Hybrid done. If Im wrong, please correct me, and have proof.

Here is the damage..
First one is a pic I had fun with in photoshop
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz2shoped.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz1.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz2.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz3.jpg
http://www.chainsawgraphics.com/images/atz4.jpg

Anyone have pictures of theses bikes saved on their computer? They are long gone!

Bryan Raffa
06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
here you go ;) :TrikesOwn

Yamada
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
here you go ;) :TrikesOwn

Thank you Raffa. :postwhore