PDA

View Full Version : Krylon spray paint any good?

kilabeez0
03-07-2003, 10:29 PM
There's no way I'm paying for powdercoating, so I had a friend sandblast my axle, axle carrier, and front forks. I then primed them with Krylon primer, and then painted my axle with high temp engine paint, and the axle carrier with regular flat black. I also painted my frame in gloss black (primed first) and a few other things that I didn't prime, but cleaned very good with highly flamable liquids :demon:

Anyway, how well will this paint hold up? It seems alot better than it was years ago, and they put the nice nozzle on the can now :-P

tdup
03-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Dont let gas get on them.

Wickedfinger
03-08-2003, 02:48 AM
.. dude, I use Rustoleum industrial spray paint for everything. Its a little more expensive but worth it and you can get it at any Home Depot. Ive never seen a spraypaint work so well.

JohnR.
03-08-2003, 10:31 AM
When I first got my 250r I sandblasted it and painted it white with a Russel Chassis Paint. It was ok, probably tougher than Krylon or Rustoleum because it was designed for frames but it still chipped pretty easily and after a year or two there were lots of chips, esp. where your boots rub. About 3 years ago I the frame again and this time I spent the $200 to have it powder coated, it was worth every penny. There are NO chips where my boots ride and when I tear the motor out for the bikes annual detailing I can wash the frame down with some detergent, scrub it, and it looks like it did the day I brought it home. The only thing I have seen to a number on powdercoating is brake fluid, I got some on the end of the swingarm when bleeding the brakes and it discolored it.

John

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Yes the Rustoleum IND is a better choice, but again it has no hardner. Why you guys go through all the trouble to tear down, degrease, sandblast etc and then put on spray cans is beyond me? Maybe you don't have a compressor?? Borrow one! Get a sprayer, even the Walmart one for 30$ will work great for the average guy. Then get AUTOMOTIVE paint with a catalyst (hardner) your looking at 60$ for paint, thinner and hardner. It will hold up 100 times better than any spraycan out there. Spill whatever you want on it and it'll be fine. That will do at least one whole trike and the sprayer works as long as you clean it. You will be so disappointed when rocks start bouncing of your new finish so make sure it's durable.

Popeye
12-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I found this old thread while googling Krylon spray paint. My 250r frame is getting powder coated right now, but I am gonna paint everything else. I went with the Krylon because the colors seemed to match really well. Anyways, does anybody have an updated opinion on this brand of paint?

HuffieVA
12-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Spray bombs are spray bombs, if you have access to a decent compressor, buy at least a mid grade spray gun and use some good paint...

audioworks04
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Like huffie said, no matter how good it is, it is still just a spray paint. An automotive paint would be a much better option, but still will never hold up like powder will. But the best part about rattle is that touch up is a breeze. Personally everything on all of my bikes is powdered, but it helps when I have a powder set up in my garage.

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
ALL you guys can get a free oven off Craigslist and 200$ will get you coating.

Easier and much less messier than auto paint with a hardner.

Just send out the frame, many guys are very reasonable..............

daniel_250r
12-07-2011, 07:39 PM
get a small compressor could be a one gallon one for all it matters go to eastwood.com and buy their hotcoat gun and some primer powder and some black..... and get an oven your set coating.. mines on its way cant wait!! i got so sick of spraypaint even high end stuff like vht chips the second you try to bolt it. you need to have a way of stripping your parts to bare metal tho