PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to rebuild forks?

toyota200x
03-07-2003, 10:29 PM
I have a 250sx and was wondering how hard it is to rebuild the forks. Also how do you tell if your frorks are blown? What parts would I need to buy?
Thanks

85 200X
03-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I rebuilt the forks on my 200x and it took quite a while but wasn't hard with a clymer manual. Check the fork seals to see if they are in bad shape or not. I would reccomend cleaning everything up good and getting new fork seals.

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Both the SX and X are very simple forks. Blown just means the seal is weeping oil. The bushing in the fork can also wear out and it won't work properly, replace it if it looks worn. Lay out a nice clean sheet and disassemble. I think theres an allen bolt on the bottom which holds the damping rod. Zing that puppy out and yank them apart, that is after removing the clip that holds the dust seal in the outer body. The oil seal will pop right out when you jerk them apart. Can't remeber if it has two springs in each with a spacer/collar, just pay attention. Manual would help but there are so few parts in there that laying them out in a well lighted area will be fine. Use the right oul and don't damage the seal or replace it. It's good to change fork oil once a year, cheap and easy to do.

ATCnut
03-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Here are some pics of a set of 250r forks being done. The sx forks are similar

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3718