PDA

View Full Version : 185s rebuild

mags83
02-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I have an '83 185s that smokes enough that I feel a rebuild is in order sometime soon. It does seem to run well, however, it has a slight ticking that is audible at idle...don't know if this is normal or not. Anyway, while changing the oil, I removed the small oil screen (behind oil cap below recoil assembly) and noticed small metal shavings caught in the screen, which makes me think I should definitely inspect/possibly rebuild the bottom end. If I were to do so, what commonly gets replaced or what would you recommend replacing while the engine is apart? For the top end, I think I'm gonna go with a Wiseco piston/rings for the higher compression and hopefully will get a little extra power out of the engine. Is there a gasket/o ring kit that's available for rebuilding the top end or do I just have to order the ones I need?

One more thing that's sort of off the topic: did the 185s ever come with a valve cover that didn't have a manual compression release lever? Mine doesn't have this and I don't know if it came that way or if it was modified...all I know is that if I don't pull the rip cord quickly and firmly, the engine will kick back and rip the handle through my fingers...geez, does that hurt!

BTW, I probably didn't mention this in previous posts, but this is a great place with great people.

jbezan
02-19-2006, 02:04 AM
I am not a motor guy but I did a little searching and found you a site that will help you on the gasket kit . heres the link: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=D0QCA0PHLA3M3LA0WTISM 4VMDK0NCIV0?leafCatId=11006&catId=110&store=Main&mmyId=9003

jbezan
02-19-2006, 02:07 AM
hey and also good choice on the piston/ring combo. You might as well go all out while you have it apart

Wickedfinger
02-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Before anything, I would get a good shop manual for it - I recoment the Clymer one. Next, I would give it a tune up. You cleared out the oil filter, now change the oil. To eliminate things - give it a Valve adjustment and adjust auto adjuster for the timing chain. If the tick noise goes away - it was one of those two common maintenence adjustments. As far as the piston replacement goes - you need to have the bore checked to see if its out of spec for stock. If it isn't - great, just a quick hone and install the new piston, if it isn't, its machine shop time, then they will tell you what size over-bore piston to get. I would also replace the timing chain while its apart. If you decide to go with the Wiseco - definitely get the 10.25:1 medium comp NOT the 12:1.

mags83
02-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys! That's great information. Thanks for the link.

What about the connecting rod bushing or the oil pump? Do those normally need servicing at the time of a rebuild?

Does anyone know anything about the valve cover that I mentioned earlier? Thanks.

Vealmonkey
02-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure about what you are asking about the valve cover. In '81 there was a compression release on the valve cover that you had to push before you pulled the recoil to start it. On the 82 and later like mine, there is a cable that goes from the recoil starter to the head that moves the compression release every time you pull on the cable. I rebuilt one of these cable compression release recoil starters and I had to get some parts from the local honda dealer and some parts from bike bandit .com. If it is '82 or later compression realese if will have a hole for the cable ferrule to fit into. If it is earlier version, it will have a flat place where you use your finger or thumb to push it to engage it. Hope this helps. And personally, I myself have always like the honda manuals better than the aftermarket manuals.