PDA

View Full Version : Pvl ignitions

tecatecrazy
03-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Does anyone have a pvl ignition on their bike. If so do you have any info or literature on how to set the timing for these on two strokes? Cant get mine figured out. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks---Joe 8)

Curtis-Tecate3
03-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I have a Moto-Plat on my 86 T3 and have never been happy with it...I do not have any literature on timing either, sorry.
I am looking into one of those aftermarket Ricky Stator Factory replacement setups. Anyone running one yet please provide input. Thanks.

Curtis.

brian specht
03-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have a pvl ignition on their bike. If so do you have any info or literature on how to set the timing for these on two strokes? Cant get mine figured out. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks---Joe 8)
MY BROTHER AND I BOTH HAVE PVL IGNITIONS ON OUR TECATES. ALL I CAN REMEMBER IS YOU HAVE TO USE A DIALINDICATER THREW THE SPARKPLUG HOLR ON THE PISTON TO GET TDS. I CAN'T REMEMBER WERE THE COILS ARE TO BE LINED UP W/FLYWHEEL. THATS ALL I CAN THINK OF HOPE THAT HELPS??

JohnR.
03-08-2003, 10:36 AM
ChrisD. and I both have them. He has had his for a few years now and seems to be pretty happy with it. I got mine this winter when I went to the ESR 330 motor and I like it too. I have the directions that came with it, other than following them I can't say much except I would recommend spending the money on FTZ's dial indicator, it screws right into the spark plug hole and maes the job a whole lot easier. Also, you may have to take the whole engine out of the trike, on my 250r the upper frame tube is in the way.

John

tecatecrazy
03-08-2003, 12:26 PM
do you have a way to scan them into your comp. and post them here(them=directions)? I already have the ignition I just need to know how to set the timing since the flywheel isn't keyed I need to know all the reference points and timing marks. help me please if you can. thanks---Joe 8)

ChrisD
03-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Where did you get the PVL? It should have come with directions. You will definietly need the dial indicator to find TDC and adjust your timing. One recommendation. MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY SPACE THE FLYWHEEL INSIDE THE HOUSING! Fold over a piece of paper acouple times, wrap it aroung the flywheel, leave the bolts on the housing loose and put the unit together. Then tighten the housing. The tolerances are close and you want to make sure that the flywheel doesn't touch the housing. Before you jump in and kick the thing over, make sure that nothing touches. It hasn't happened to me, but the directions I had had this as an important warning.

My unit came marked with lines that you had to line up. Then the only thing you had to do was set the motor at 5 degrees BTDC. I don't have the directions in front of me, but that is what I remember. It's been together for a couple years now. There should be a mark on the flywheel and a mark on the housing. You line them up and set your crank position with the dial indicator. You can call FTZ at 573-334-5439 to see if they'll give you information. Good Luck!