PDA

View Full Version : 1986 350X Brake Questions

mac2003
02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
I've seen brake pads and rotors online for '85s & '86s. I've seen brake lines online for '85s but not for '86s. Are they that different? What are my options for new brake lines? Or even my options for complete brake upgrades?? I'm the original owner of my '86 350x but haven't ridden it since college...just got too busy...and now I'm in process of getting it going again for some weekend fun. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated here!

Thanks,
Mac

hrc200x
02-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I'd think the brake lines would be the same. What is wrong with your old ones? You should be able to get stainless lines from: http://www.russellperformance.com/ or watch ebay for used rubber ones.

Usually on the old wheelers the calipers freeze up, both the pistons in them, and the slider pins that allows the caliper to float to allow the pads to wear evenly. As far as brake upgrades there there ain't a whole lot, stainless lines, front master cyclinder off a newer quad or motorcycle, not positive, but a 250x/300ex rear caliper might be the same. All the O rings and seals to rebuild the calipers should be available from honda, Dennis Kirk might sell front master cyclinder rebuild kits, and I think rear master cyclinder rebuilds are discontinued. www.denniskirk.com for alot of your ATC needs.

How many kicks did it take to start up after sitting that long?
Good Luck!

mac2003
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Its just that the ones on there right now are 20 years old and need to be replaced. Not to mention that the steel braided would be a nice improvement. Thanks for the info. I'll look into the russell lines.

And haven't tried starting it yet. Had to send the gas tank off to have it redone. Should have it back on Monday or Tuesday. Hope its as trusty as it used to be. Rarely did it not start on the first kick way back when.