PDA

View Full Version : 86 BIG RED ?'s

Meat-BoX
02-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I have found an 86 Big Red that is a 3 owner Trike. It was used by a company 2 weeks a year at the NYS Fair to haul Ice to the Vendors. After that it was housed in a Wharehouse untill the next year. The company bought it from the Original owner and used it for several seasons at the Fair. The third owner bought it from the company after they bought golf carts to haul the Ice. He has had it for about 10 years and hardly ever used it except during hunting season. Its been sitting in his garage for several years only using it for Getting to his Stands and Hauling deer. It comes with the Paperwork so can be registered and insured. The only thing it needs is a Headlight and Taillight, It runs good im told and is in Pretty good condition for its age. Its been Owned by 2 adults and a Company and has low hours on it. The ad said $800 but he offered to sell it to me for $600 if I can get it asap. He works on Boats and Boat motors and needs the Space in his shop as he bought another boat. He makes his living doing Boat tours and rentals and told me he had no use for the trike anymore.
My question is, for $600 is an 86 Big Red in Good Original condition with all the paperwork worth buying? It would be alot easier to haul deer with a Big Red than my 84 Honda 125 M. Should I sell my little 125 M and Buy the Big Red for $600? I seem to remember seeing Big Reds go for a Grand or More if in good condition. Any input would be very helpfull. This is a Big decision for me as I like my Honda 125 M and its in very good condition. But a Bigger Work horse would be good for me. Thx

Hornetpowerspor
02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I have seen beat up ones go for 600.00. I'd say go for it!

thefox
02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
If the trike runs then yes it is worth it but I think you already knew that. Once you get it you will find that you don't use the 125m as much, doubling your engine size adding a reverse gear and full suspension will keep the Big Red parked in front of the 125m. Since you have the 200x it's not like you have to worry about how heavy the Big Red is either since you can take the X out when you want to play around.

edog
02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Post pics when you can.

Meat-BoX
02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I saw Bruces Big Red when he came for the North Shore Ride. I havnt seen one before that since I was A kid. His ride was pretty nice and he hauled everyones stuff the whole way. I was impressed with it. Ive never ridden one but im sure they are nice and comforatable. So you think $600 is a pretty good deal? He said it wasnt trashed or smashed, and has a rebuilt starter. Im just wondering if this is a deal that shouldnt be passed up. Thx for the input.

mike from long island
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
i would go for it. i sold the big red to bruce. i orginally bought it for $550. it was spray bombed though. and needed the reverse cable fixed. still a great big red. but todd (200xman) found a pair of big reds in a lot better shape. so we bought them together. we love them they are a blast. go get it!!! lol

nouseforaname90
02-13-2006, 09:52 PM
My dad found 2 Big Red's here recently:
One of them was an '86 and it had no rear plastic, the front plastic was trashed, and the gas tank was.. just.. we'll just say I've never seen a gas tank like it. The engine and everything else looked surprisingly nice though. He wanted $600. We didn't get it.
The other was an '83 Big Red. The tank had dents galore, the front fender was way faded and it was an old Maier, you could tell the axle was bent when you rode it, the brakes were locked up, and the rear rack was bent.. he also wanted $600. We didn't get it.
Moral of the story: GET THAT DAMN BIG RED!

Meat-BoX
02-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Well it sounds like they are a great machine and better than my Little 125M:p
The guy isnt on the net, thank god, and I have no cash yet. I can only pray. I asked him if he could wait 2 weeks till I can pay him with cash. Or if I could pay with a credit card as he has a Tourism business. I guess we will know tomorrow.
I guess I will have to sell my little Honda 125 M if this happens. Man that little Trike is nice, but will be nice for a Younger rider or a Lady I guess, and go towards a Better Trike.:beer

ScottZJ
02-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah thats a killer price for a big red that runs. I would do it in a heart beat. You will wonder how on earth you have been going on without a big red in your life haha.

Meat-BoX
02-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Well Im getting the money tomorrow and the guy will deliver it this weekend. So I need to sell my Honda 125 M.

Meat-BoX
02-16-2006, 09:22 PM
The Guy is droppin off the big red tomorrow around 2:00 at the gas station. Im gonna ride it home from there on the trails. $600 :beer

Pics this weekend.:w00t:

Meat-BoX
02-18-2006, 12:53 AM
The Owner that is selling me the Big Red loaded it in his Truck last nigh. This morning there was a wicked wind storm and a Huge Tree fell on his Barn and Crushed his Snowmobile and boats. Luckily he had loaded the Big Red the night Before. He told me that the Big Red must be made for me because If he didnt load it in the Truck it would be Destroyed. Lucky for me he loaded it the night before. He will be dropping it off Tomorrow morning. It seems I might have a bit of luck this week.:w00t:
I'll get some pics tomorrow and see what you all think of it for $600 I havnt seen it and am taking the Owners word that its in good condition and runs well. We sahll see.