PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200es no spark - moved from open

sparky332
02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
I got a 200es a couple of months ago it has not run in about ten years. They said it just stopped and would not run. I tried check ing for spark first and got none,
cheked ignition coil it looiks good. I then checked the cdi module with the chart from the clymer book and the readings did not all come out as they should, is this an acurate test?

Tri-ZNate
02-12-2006, 11:24 PM
if you CDI doesnt match in that range then it is probably fried. If you have a friend with a 200S,M, or X you could try it on theirs and see if it works or vice versa.

sparky332
02-12-2006, 11:28 PM
thanks i will try that

Howdy
02-13-2006, 09:47 AM
if you CDI doesnt match in that range then it is probably fried. If you have a friend with a 200S,M, or X you could try it on theirs and see if it works or vice versa.

The 200s, m, x CDI's DO NOT inner change with the 200es. I know this from experiance. I have check numerous CDI's with a ohm meter and have yet to have one test correctly.

As I have stated in another thread yesterday, check your exciter coil first. They are notorious for going bad in the 185-200 Honda motors. This topic has been covered dozens of times in the past. Do a foum search for exciter coil and you will find the info to check it.
Howdy

ChrisG
02-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I have the same problem on various days - I just replaced the excitor coil a couple weeks ago and am getting 220 ohms on the black/red wire from the stator. I get spark sometimes - then other days, forget it - you can pull, electric start it till the battery dies and still no spark.

I don't know what to check next - the ignition coil, cdi box, pulse generator???

Any ideas - and how exactly are these tested

bigredhead
02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
I would say test them all.. one at a time and use the process of elimination.

Take a known good spark plug.. ( tested on anothe rmachine if possible ) gapped properly....

then work your way down the line until you find the problem.

Check the frame contacts ( the wire that goes to the spark plug.. conects to a black thing on the frame under the gas tank. sand down and make them shiny ))

Good luck !

Tri-ZNate
02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
The 200s, m, x CDI's DO NOT inner change with the 200es. I know this from experiance.
Howdy

Well than I must not have had a 200x CDI, because it went right on and worked on my ES.

bigredhead
02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I tried using one from an 82 on my 84 ES and it bolted right up... started .. but ran like crap ! swapped them back and it was better..

ChrisG
02-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Are you guys talking about ignition coils or cdi boxes?

Tri-ZNate
02-14-2006, 12:12 AM
I was talking about the CDI.

ebecme01
02-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Beleive it or not, when i have a had intermitent spark, it was the on off switch was shorting out. Coils dont go bad and then work, nor do CDI boxes. the pulse unit is pretty bulletproof. Remove the switch cluster from the bars, make sure it cant ground, then try. Now that I think of it, you have a key switch too. check that.

Unclediezel
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Ohm -meter testing is as accurate as a weather report in July------

Although its not always practical----The best way to check this stuff is to find the old guy who is retired from the auto field-----A lab scope test is 100% accurate---and almost any modern auto repair shop has one hiding in the corner.
Also--Mac tools made a circuit tester with LEDs --capable of voltages less than 1 volt AC/DC------Ohmeters are great, but there are too many variables for them to be considered accurate.

bigredhead
02-17-2006, 05:03 PM
if you know how to use your meter properly .. it should be accurate, and consistant.

Unclediezel
02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Maybe thats why my hair frizzes up , and none of the outlets in the bathroom work????????:rolleyes:

Howdy
02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Ohm -meter testing is as accurate as a weather report in July------

Although its not always practical----The best way to check this stuff is to find the old guy who is retired from the auto field-----A lab scope test is 100% accurate---and almost any modern auto repair shop has one hiding in the corner.
Also--Mac tools made a circuit tester with LEDs --capable of voltages less than 1 volt AC/DC------Ohmeters are great, but there are too many variables for them to be considered accurate.

I TOTALLY dissagree here. You must not know how to use one. Maybe if you had not skipped reading the manual you would understand.

Maybe thats why my hair frizzes up , and none of the outlets in the bathroom work????????:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because you used the wiring to redo your 250r ignition set up? The frizzzing could be cause do to a short in wire from that set up. FYI, You might want to get a ohm meter and start checking for shorts. :lol: :lol:

Get real and get a life, the ATV manufactors wouldn't have you use a ohm meter for testing different items unless THEY KNOW a ohm meter will work. And I don't think you can honestly say that your "Smarter" than all the ATV manufactures.

Howdy

Unclediezel
02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
No, never claimed to be, nor would I ever think that,

But, How many electric components have you tested that came up good in the "OHM" category, that still dont work---and vice -versa----
That wasnt meant to Proclaim that I am an all Knowing Wizard----Nor do I believe that myself, But When I got a great deal on a used lab scope, The ohmeter got packed away---(For both home and work)

Unclediezel
02-17-2006, 06:14 PM
The 200s, m, x CDI's DO NOT inner change with the 200es. I know this from experiance. I have check numerous CDI's with a ohm meter and have yet to have one test correctly.

Howdy

Hey --Wait a minute ---What gives????

Howdy
02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey --Wait a minute ---What gives????

I'm not flip flopping at all. I stated I haven't had any luck testing CDI's. I have had Great results checking other items. Just because it's hard to get proper readings on 1 Style of part, is no reason to claim ohm meters are junk.

FYI, other than CDI's, I have never had a part check good with a ohm meter and yet be bad. Or vice versa.

You use your scope and I will use a ohm meter. We shall see who locates the problem quicker ( ME ). I would bet $10 I would win the bet.
Howdy

Unclediezel
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Actually , this was never meant to be competitive either, and I should just simply restate That it is my OPINION, That a scope would be more accurate based on MY experience.
They are both the same, with the exception of "VIEWING SCREENS", and Since this debate could go on forever and this poor guy isnt riding, but rather watching us quibble, I will concede.
By the way, to check shorts,without either piece----Pull on the harness , and wait for the smoke. Where the smoke starts is where the short is.:lol:

Howdy
02-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Well than I must not have had a 200x CDI, because it went right on and worked on my ES.

Here is what the CDI looked like on my one 84 200es. Notice the 969 on the CDI. That is the production code for 1984 200es Big Reds. ;)
Howdy