PDA

View Full Version : 350X rear brake pad thickness??

newwheeler
02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm trying to install new rear pads on a 1985 350X, bought some aftermarket 'Magnum" P/N AT 84 M. I've retracted the caliper piston all the way but with pads installed there isn't a big enough gap to slide over the rotor. :(
Can anyone provide me with Honda OEM new pad thickness so I can compare?

ScottZJ
02-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with mine. It seems that the 350x pads work on many other newer quads so they have made them thicker. The only way I found to make them work is use one new and one used pad (if they still had pad left). I did that for a few rides and then check to see if the other new pad would work.

350x'inNY
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with mine. It seems that the 350x pads work on many other newer quads so they have made them thicker. The only way I found to make them work is use one new and one used pad (if they still had pad left). I did that for a few rides and then check to see if the other new pad would work.

I had a heck of a time changing my brake pads on my 350X. COme to find out, the problem wasn't in the thinkness of the pad, nor the piston being out a hair, BUT that the whole rear calipar is suppose to slide back in forth. After years of running the same brake pads, the calipar was froze stuck slid over in the "wear" area. I had to take the calipar off and take it to a shop to get it freed up. Was a piece of cake after that. I ended up installing the "new pads".

Bruce

PS - What Scott's saying will also work. Seems like the pad right up against the piston wears faster on my trikes....